Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT?? >

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

GRAY HAIR..................OR NOT??

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 PM

WOW!! Has anyone ever said that you are a beautiful woman!?
I'm sure they have, cause you are!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Why, thank you...I don't hear it much, mostly, people say they like my hair. I truly love it being silver...I'm basically a lazy person and it would grow out about 1-1 1/2" before I would dye it again (I needed to dye it about once a month!!)
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM

I will be 46 this month and only have a little gray as I was blessed with my grandmother's hair genes. Her hair was dark until she was 50 and then she started going grey/silver very quickly. I am too lazy to color my hair and I just don't care what people think about me or my hair. I did highlight when I taught school b/c it did make me look a bit younger but when I got it cut one time, I asker for a trim and wound up with about 1 inch of hair all over my head. Needless to say, wasn't a happy camper. Same salon scalped me the next time and haven't been back b/c I trim my own bangs mostly and trying to grow out the rest for awhile. I have dark brown hair and people cannot tell my age from my hair color b/c there's so little gray and it's mostly along the part line. Friends and DH say I have lovely hair which is naturally pretty. It's also bone straight excpet for the Alfalfa spot in the back when it's too short.

Disasters - permed my waist length hair, used Sun-in to color several times, did try to lighten it with henna prodcut but wound up orange. Did professional highlights once where it came it out almost white and when they tried to trim them out, I had tiger stripes in the back for about a month.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM

My natural hair was an ugly dishwater blond and I've colored it for years. A group of women I went to high school with go on a trip together every year and I always take photos and one of us is gray. Every time I show my photos to someone, they ask who the older lady is? My Mom went gray and it was a yucky color so I know what mine would look like. My MIL had beautiful silver gray hair and if I could have that I'd go natural. I think darker hair seems to go to a prettier shade of gray.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I will be 46 this month and only have a little gray as I was blessed with my grandmother's hair genes. Her hair was dark until she was 50 and then she started going grey/silver very quickly. I am too lazy to color my hair and I just don't care what people think about me or my hair. I did highlight when I taught school b/c it did make me look a bit younger but when I got it cut one time, I asker for a trim and wound up with about 1 inch of hair all over my head. Needless to say, wasn't a happy camper. Same salon scalped me the next time and haven't been back b/c I trim my own bangs mostly and trying to grow out the rest for awhile. I have dark brown hair and people cannot tell my age from my hair color b/c there's so little gray and it's mostly along the part line. Friends and DH say I have lovely hair which is naturally pretty. It's also bone straight excpet for the Alfalfa spot in the back when it's too short.

Disasters - permed my waist length hair, used Sun-in to color several times, did try to lighten it with henna prodcut but wound up orange. Did professional highlights once where it came it out almost white and when they tried to trim them out, I had tiger stripes in the back for about a month.
That is a real horror story!!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 PM

I am happily gray. I have been gray since my first streak at 14. My gmother was silver at age 21. I would occasionally color my hair when people would comment about my age. My natural color was blackish brown. I started out as blue-black velvet and through the teen years it kept getting lighter, then in my 20's back to black with lots of gray highlights. People used to ask me where I got my hair frosted. Now it is solid silver, I'm 52. I love my hair (the color) but it is also stick straight except for the cowlick on my forehead. Bangs always lie goofy on me. I can't keep any kind of curl but for a minute. I've always said I'm going to revert to my indian ways and wear it long and braided like my grandmother did.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by purplemem
...I'm going to revert to my indian ways and wear it long and braided like my grandmother did.
Ok, I will if you will! We can even have matching cowlicks!

No color for me, thanks. Don't think I'd keep up on it. Plus, not coloring probably saves a lot of time (not to mention money).
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Before and after
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37817.jpe   attachment-37818.jpe  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 AM

I agree with you, that took Years off of your look! You look fantastic!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by fabuchicki
Before and after
WOW!! Very nice style, too!