Great British Baking Show

Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 AM

I love that show! And I’ll watch rereuns or Masterclass shows, whatever I can find. It’s inspiring and makes you think you could bake anything!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM

I really miss Mary Berry. To my mind the relationship between Mary and Paul was the foundation glue that held it all together. I think Paul and Pru are OK together but the other 2, well, to be kind, they stink. Of all the people this production company has to choose from I will never understand how it came down to these goofballs. The bakers are the heroes for sure. They are sincere and working hard to prove themselves.

Last edited by llong0233; 09-12-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-12-2019, 11:52 AM

For me part of the appeal is the goofiness of the hosts, there is a sweet gentle good natured-ness that I find missing in American competition shows. It did take me a bit to get used to them all and for them to get used to each other as well.

Sue and Mel certainly have their own style of goofy, but I think it's important for the interaction with the bakers that everyone builds relationships with each other including the hosts, judges and bakers.

They tried to do an American version of the show, that was ok but there was an issue with one of the American staff and the #metoo movement and it was quickly and quietly taken down.

Haven't watched the Canadian version yet, even though I have channels in my cable lineup they don't offer any "On Demand" options but will try and catch it as it airs.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I love the Great British Baking Show. The new season of the Great Canadian Baking Show kicks off on September 18. Can’t wait. I’m disappointed that Dan Levy won’t be hosting, but it will be fun to see the new hosts.
Totally agree with you JanieW ..... I loved Dan and his sidekick for the show.
The promos with the new hosts have not got me excited in the least.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 AM

This is not a baking show, but set in a large department store: "Are you being served?" I think I've watched all 69 episodes. My favorite is Mrs. Slocumbe and her cat. I get it on U-tube free.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Totally agree with you JanieW ..... I loved Dan and his sidekick for the show.
The promos with the new hosts have not got me excited in the least.
Have you watched the first show yet, QuiltE? In case you haven’t I won’t comment other than to say I really enjoyed it. I’m curious about what you thought of the new hosts and judge.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Having nothing to compare the previous hosts to, I thought the Canadian show was fun. Don't think the hubby enjoyed them as much, but it always takes a bit to get used to it. I am liking the hosts, recognize them (lol sort of anyway) from the ads for the Baroness Von Sketch show which I've never watched. The long haired one (Aurora?) has a lovely voice.

I did think the finished projects were much more clearly home baked goods as opposed to the show stopper quality of the British show, but maybe it was just a bad week.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Have you watched the first show yet, QuiltE? In case you haven’t I won’t comment other than to say I really enjoyed it. I’m curious about what you thought of the new hosts and judge.
Hi JanieW ... I was away for a bit and missed the first but got it viewed before #2 last night!

While I hate to see Dan gone, I think they have a good combo with the two new hosts and judge.
A little more lively than the combo of Dan and his sidekick. So long as it does not become too comedic, maybe? Likewise, I think the new judge is a better fit too.

I guess I better not say anything more, for others who don't want spoilers!

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I love that show. We binge watch it when I'm at my daughter's house. Love the way they are so supportive of each other and kind, not cut-throat like most competition shows. So British!