Grrr....my naughty dog!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM

I know you will think I'm crazy, but here anyway. Have you ever watched the movie "Snow Dogs" (good movie) anyway there's a part in there where when the guy is having nothing but trouble with his slay dogs they tell him to "Bite the Alpha Dog on the Ear" sounds very strange right. Well I was having so much trouble with one of my dogs that as a last resort I bit it on the EAR, guess what it worked for me. Be serious doing it, it can't be any worse than growling, lol, try it you have nothing to lose, but I didn't tell anyone I was going to try it tell after it worked for me. Now all of you will think I'm nuts.Ha Ha.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 AM

I had a male Yorky that was given to me as a puppy. After MULTIPLE times of moping the floor, I went to Petsmart to get something that would deter him from hosing the bathroom door frame-the carpet behind the couch-my log bed-and any where else he decided to hose. He would only poop on the carpet behind couch.
Believe me, I tried everything!!! I think some of the stuff was an attractant! And if they tell you that this or that will take the smell/stain out. They lie!
My nephew moved into a house that had had pets & still had a VERY strong odor. He hired a professional & that guy said that if you would put straight bleach on the spot, that will usually work. mop it up & mop w/ plain water. SEVERAL times. Worked for him, he has had several dogs since & they do not go in the house.
I really didn't want to put straight bleach on my carpet, but after weeping legs from dh congestive heart failure, bleach was the only option. I used diluted bleach, dh died, Yorkie died @ 10years, & as soon as the shorthair goes, I'm getting new carpet & no more pets.
That's how I solved my problem
Billie G
Old 01-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Get in touch with the Dog Whisperer... I am not sure paddling or using a rolled up newspaper is the answer.

http://www.cesarsway.com/
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

There are sprays that will make the area offensive to him. I'd probably try one of those.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM

If you've ever had a dog who was "one of your kids" which they all should be... and ever cared for him when he got sick... which they do from time to time. If you've ever felt the unconditional love of a dog... you will never EVER, EVER hit your dog.
A whole lot of love, patience, and perseverance and your dog will not only do what you want, but love you for teaching him. It's an on-going learning experience for both of you.
Love your dog for all he's worth. Their time on this earth is not nearly long enough. Four weeks ago today, we had to say goodbye to our Jake dog of nearly 12 years. Our hearts are broken. It is the first time in over 35 years we have lived without a pet in our lives. Just this week we decided to find another dog to love. He will not replace Jake, but start to fill the hole in our hearts left by his death. RIP Jake... you were the best! ( Casey, Mindi, PW, Tyler, and Sadie too!) so wonderful... with lives WAY too short. Especially Tyler ...he had lymphoma and after several thousand dollars of chemo and a few more months, he died at 6 yrs. Would never put another dog through that. Thought he could be cancer-free. He was a fabulous dog and friend. Sorry, I digressed. Wow, where did THAT come from? :oops:
Anyway...I don't believe in outside dogs, but I do agree with regular potty training and taking him where he needs to go to do his thing. When we walk the dog, the walk goes as long as it takes him to go! DogHouseMom was right on the money! Great post!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Well, first off I would not hit/beat my dog. Have you caught him in the act of doing his business? maybe if you can, catch him "just as" he starts, in a stern low voice shout "NO". And keep doing that repeatedly until he figures out its just easier going somewhere else. Also, when he does go somewhere else, be sure to reward him with a "GOOD BOY"! Please dont hit him :( Good luck...keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM

If you think you have to 'beat it til it's red' like the one answer, please find another home for it. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM

In US there are airesol sprays like bitter apple that repel pets.
His own odor on the patio and post may be drawing him back to that spot. Scrub after each accident.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
1st... is this a new behavior? Take him to the vet to make sure everything is ok... then...
this is what I did
I broke my dog of inappropriate toilet use with a wooden paddle.. I spanked him till his little fanny glowed red...all the while holding his nose in his mess... he Never went in the house again...ever... he lived to be 17 years old.
Did you use a spoon on your kids too? You don't sound like a dog person to me. Of course, ours are over-cuddled, over-spoiled lap-sitters and we love them dearly. Yes, they have accidents. They were all rescued, one is still unhousebroken. A new home for him, not on your life.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM

I think that paddling his hiney until it is red is really out of the question. That is close to abuse. I have a dog and would never think of beating him like that. Try a trainer. But before you start paddling him - find him another home.

Carole