Grrr....my naughty dog!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM

A vet check is in order but you can easily housebreak a dog by buying and using a crate. Dogs love having their own "cave" to call their own and seldom will soil it. The trick is to be alert and let him out as soon as he wakes up and then back in the crate.
Over time you can leave the crate door opened and I guarantee he will go in there to sleep because it's HIS space.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
A vet check is in order but you can easily housebreak a dog by buying and using a crate. Dogs love having their own "cave" to call their own and seldom will soil it. The trick is to be alert and let him out as soon as he wakes up and then back in the crate.
Over time you can leave the crate door opened and I guarantee he will go in there to sleep because it's HIS space.
Great point!! We have crate trained all of our dogs. Yes, there were accidents, but never in their kennels and didnt take long for them to be potty trained.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I would take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a health problem. New behaviors that are not regular can signal a health problem. Also, I would try a water pistol when ever he is going in an inappropriate area.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
If you think you have to 'beat it til it's red' like the one answer, please find another home for it. Thanks.
I totally agree with you. I can't stand to see or hear about a
animal being beaten.
I have been sitting on my hands all day ,because I have wanted to answer to that post. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
1st... is this a new behavior? Take him to the vet to make sure everything is ok... then...
this is what I did
I broke my dog of inappropriate toilet use with a wooden paddle.. I spanked him till his little fanny glowed red...all the while holding his nose in his mess... he Never went in the house again...ever... he lived to be 17 years old.
cruelty !
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Hi, I'm a long time reader of posts but this is my first reply. As a dog trainer I am horrified at the idea of holding a dog's nose in the poo and hitting him -- the equivalent of shoving a child's head in a toilet after an accident! You need to get an enzyme based cleaner to get rid of the smell of dog poo and urine on your pegola -- an ordinary household cleaner won't work as it contains ammonia which smells like urine. Try positioning your dog's bed and water bowls under the pergola, near the areas that have been fouled the most. When you take your dog outside, take him on a lead to the area you want him to use and give him a food treat when he goes in the correct place and tell him how wonderful he is. (Rewards work better than threats or punishment!) check this website www.dogstardaily.com for more advice about toilet training. cheers
Old 01-25-2011, 07:42 PM

I have been told that if a dog has learned to go on concrete (as in a dog run or kennel) he will continue to do it. Maybe spray the concrete (or the edges) with something that is distasteful to a dog.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM

used the same paddle... both kids graduated grad school with honors and have no emotional problems... nor did they do drugs, or alcohol...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM

I once had a dog that pooped wherever he wanted to, usually on the deck right outside the house. The way I solved the problem was this: scoop up the poop, take the dog and the doo to the place where you want the dog to go. Show him and tell him that this is where he should go, petting him and giving positive feedback. Clean the area where the dog went originally so that no scent is left over. If you do this each time, the dog will get the idea that it pleases you if he goes where you've shown him to go. It worked really well with my dog--he even was very specific about the exact spot he went after that. Took only a couple of times, and he had it!
Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leota
1st... is this a new behavior? Take him to the vet to make sure everything is ok... then...
this is what I did
I broke my dog of inappropriate toilet use with a wooden paddle.. I spanked him till his little fanny glowed red...all the while holding his nose in his mess... he Never went in the house again...ever... he lived to be 17 years old.
that is what I hate to read.