GRRRRRRRRRR!!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by Tartan
I saw a program on a guy who did up chemistry/physics/allgebra advice for his niece so she could pass some highschool coures. It became so popular on the net that it now available to others on numerous subjects. He had just won a grant or accomadation from Pres. Obabama? Maybe you can find his program and get some help. I sure wish they had this stuff when I struggled through school.
Would you be able to provide more information about this? It would be kind of hard to find this program with just the details given here....
Here it is:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

This guy set up videos for friends and relatives, and then it took off. I've bookmarked it for my kids.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

It's called taking your money. All colleges require courses not needed at all for your chosen career. Many are now rebelling over the course requirements that are expensive and not necessary. It's been in the news a lot lately about the courses many have to take just to meet the requirement for graduation that are just filler classes and surprise, the most expensive fees attached to these classes.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

I minored in Chemistry, and was a teaching assistant (8 years ago but I do remember most of it!). If you need help PM me. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Why do we have to take unrelated courses to get to the core courses - I asked that question each of the three times I went back to college. This has been going on for a loooong time. I had to pick my battles, and decided to use my energy for my courses rather than beating my head against a brick wall. I do feel bad for you, though, about having to spend all that money each month, and I still wonder sometimes about why it continues. Is it just because it has 'always been that way'?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 AM

If this is a course in chemistry and you have to take further courses related to chemistry or biochemistry. Then knowing how atoms are put together and operate makes it easier to understand the more advanced information. I teach HS chemistry and my kids ask that same question while we are doing the basic stuff and I am drilling it into their heads. Then when we do the hard stuff, they see how it all fits together. I even have some who have called me from college and said that my class really helped them out.

Good luck and if you do need help, just let me know. But yes, the Kahn Academy is a good resource as well. If you have an ipod or such, there are apps for his work.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Colleges originally were established to produce a well-rounded, classically educated, thinking person. Now that they have become trade schools they still retain vestiges of that ancient tradition.........no matter how frustrating to the student. If you later on want to try for an advanced degree you might find your 'grrrrrr' course a pre-requisite.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Someone else finally said it, it is all about the money!!!
Everyone wants everybody's money. Doesn't seem to me that it is going to do much but, separate you from your money. Granddaughter is trying to get through college paying her own way and she gets bad advice and worse proffessors.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM

I agree took a lot of class's I didn't need in college. !
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I am in Funeral Service school. Why do I have to learn the signs and symptoms of many diseases? I can understand know what is caused by which microorganism to protect yourself in case I see it in a death certificate, but come on...once the customers are on my table they have no more signs and symptoms. Leave alone all the pathology I have to learn...and anatomy. They could narrow it down to what matters, but trying to teach us how many bones on the ankle is a little unnecessary. Then when it comes to what really matters, they just touch it. We took 2 hours of class on caskets, when we should know all about them.

A year goes by quick. Good luck to you.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Isn't this the difference between acquiring an education and receiving vocational training? Decades ago you would have been required to know more than one foreign language and several social studies or sciences to complete the education section of your study before embarking on the vocational part of your study. I am surprised that a tech degree has more than training, usually that is reserved for 4 or more years of college.