GRRRRRRRRRR!!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Understand your flustrations.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Isn't this the difference between acquiring an education and receiving vocational training? Decades ago you would have been required to know more than one foreign language and several social studies or sciences to complete the education section of your study before embarking on the vocational part of your study. I am surprised that a tech degree has more than training, usually that is reserved for 4 or more years of college.
That is exactly why we are complaining. I am in a one year program and there is no emphasis on what I will need once I am out there. They keep saying that we will learn to do embalming and such when we are working. Why pay $15K for school then? Just to gt a license.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM

What vet tech program are you doing, that is expensive. I didn't learn about atoms in my vet tech program. I spent about 1600 total on my 2 year program in california, 15 k sounds way too expensive
Old 07-12-2011, 05:16 PM

I understand your frustration! My DSIL has gone back to school to be an R.N. and is running into the same thing!! :thumbdown: :x
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM

I have seen the same frustration with both of my daughters when they were in college. In fact, both are back in school again pursuing additional degrees and have voiced the same complaint as you. I don't understand the reasoning; I have some ideas, though, but probably should keep those evil thoughts to myself.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM

I would definitely consider it to be a well rounded education if these was material that you could remember the day after the test. I do, because I am a scientist and know it all well, but I have seem my class go from 65 to 32 in 3 months and still predicted to shrink some more soon. Is hard for many to retain it all, specially when is material that you will never again use. I am a strong advocate of education, but I also believe in being practical.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 AM

It is to make more money by selling more classes. Greed is everywhere.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 AM

Get a tutor. You can't be great at every subject. First time I got a tutor was in grad school and I kicked myself for struggling thru some classes in undergrad without asking for help!!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 AM

completely understand - my daughter is in a program on Long Island and if you fail a course a second time, you are DONE...OUT of the program. It IS very difficult and there are professors who, I believe, set them up to fail by telling them to study, say, Chapters 5, 6 and 7 and then give them a test on Chapters 8, 9 and 10!! Very frustrating!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Don't fell bad. My daughter was getting her Masters in Psychology and had to learn how rats think. Now I know some people fit that category, but all of her lab work was with rats. Go figure. Hang in there, it will be over soon.
All of us that have degrees had to take what I considered, "throw away" classes.
D in TX