Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain!
Take a deep breath!
Relax!
You can do it!
We are here for you!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Sorry to say, but what else is new? When I went to nursing school, I had to take english, history, and many other useless, stupid, waste of time classes that have never been relevant in my life, and never will be. My son is starting college in the fall in computers. He too is having to waste his time with history, english, political science, etc, etc. Nothing that will help him in his future career. Virg
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Good luck! Make a pillow or doll and everytime you need to vent, you can throw it. Remember the d***-it dolls that were popular some time ago. Maybe it will help you get through the class.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM

I think that it is disgusting that colleges find a way to pad their classes just to keep certain faculty on the payroll. Years ago, when I was a student, there was no fluff in our major; you took classes in order and graduated on time. Even our electives helped us in our major field. You can probably tell just how old I am by this comment! Hang in there, grit your teeth, and spite them by making the highest grade in the class. This, too, will pass.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM

It's a shame that higher education has become so clutterd with core requirements that one doesn't need to perform the career choice intended. Someone decided that careers are to be well round, diverse and mind expanding. Horse Poo :!: My daughter went through the same thing to qualify for nursing school and passed. I'm sure you will too and if someone asks about your college experience I'm sure you will have a well rounded, diverse, mind expanded statement for them. :!: :!: :!: Don't let the B ds win, you go girl. :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM

My granddaughter had the same experience. Went to 'grad' school..two year program in one year. First course was one she had and completed in college. She didn't even buy yhe book. It took two weeks and she was charged $2500.00. They get you any way they can. Isn't college expensive enough without all these extras??????
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Way back when I was 18-19, in '76 to be exact, the Vet tech degree was in its infancy in Ohio, and those of us who worked for a vet, and he would sign a paper saying we did, were just grandfathered in. We got the degree through the knowledge we gained by working! As long as we were under the supervision of a vet, we really could do anything.
Things sure have changed, haven't they?

Speaking of electives, my daughter's an RN, and working on schooling that will be necessary for her to apply to med school. I remember way back when, a foreign language was needed for a Bachelors, and we honestly thought that was still the norm. She went the other day to sign up for classes and the counselor she met with told her they're doing away with that requirement. I have no doubt she'd do well in it, but to us, it just seems like a waste of money. How could a person possibly choose a language that would help them in the future? Don't you have to know where you're future is, before you take classes in learning the language used? She's already well rounded
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

I don't know about where you are but here in our area you can challenge courses,maybe you can do that if not now but when you start your core classes.Our dd is going thru the same thing as you they make you take classes that have nothing to do with your course of study.They do this they say to make you a well rounded student but in fact you are just paying for your degree.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM

I have a Master's in government with majors also in English and history and a minor in economics. I often thought that I would never use some of the information I got in classes that in my infinite wisdom seemed irrelevant.

What I have learned in my 75 years is that no knowledge is ever wasted, that all of it is relevant to something in my life and that learning it keeps your mind fresh and active.

I often told my students to stop feeling angry and fustrated because indulging themselves in those feelings meant they were wasting their time and energy on that instead of on learning the material they needed to learn to get credit for the course they were taking.

Good to vent occasionally! Not good to nurture the anger and frustration. froggyintexas
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM

I had to take Russian History and Biblical Studies for a degree in Home Ec.! Welcome to the club!