GRRRRRRRRRR!!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM

WHY do you think they call it BS...
These other classes that have zero relation to your degree is to develop you into a well rounded person....
yeah whatever... ha ha..
Get you a tutor in this subject and get through it... good luck
Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

We already have plenty of people with high school diplomas and college degrees who don't know doodley squat about anything but their field. They don't have a clue about how other people live, how economics and politics actually work, what it takes to write a book or even a short newspaper article, but they think they are qualified to vote and make decisions about other people's lives because they know about something in their field.

Come on folks! Quit griping because you or your kid might learn something new or be exposed to something you don't know anything about. froggyintexas
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Well, here's another story. Maybe you will feel better if you know you are not alone.
I was a teacher and taught 6-12th grade. After teaching 18 years,getting a masters degree and then another 30hrs., I was transferred to an elementary school because of teacher cutbacks. I was thankful to still have a job, BUT I was not certified in elementary education. I had one year to go back to school (while teaching) and get elementary certification. I had to take #1, classes that didn't even relate to my subject area and #2, classes that I could have taught myself. It cost me alot of money to get hours that I never even touched on in my 35yrs. of teaching! Did enjoy teaching, but sooooo glad to be retired.
My advice - suffer through it and finish up to get the job you really want.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM

http://www.drmartinlutherkingjr.com/...feducation.htm

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education. The complete education gives one not only power of concentration, but worthy objectives upon which to concentrate. The broad education will, therefore, transmit to one not only the accumulated knowledge of the race but also the accumulated experience of social living."

Please take a moment to read the rest of Dr. King's 1947 paper.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM

I understand how you feel !!!!
I took a real estate class years ago and they taught NOTHING about selling or buying real estate. The one question that ticked me off was " What is the persons name that signs the back of your real estate card?" I don't think anyone knew. I ask why that type of question was on the test and the teacher said, " I don't know, I guess they have to make up test questions, and that was one of them. Duh !

Syl
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 PM

I agree.I have yet to understand why you need to take classes that have nothing to do with your chosen field. My son was taking a manufacturing course at the local community college to learn to run specific machinery. He had to take English,Speech,chemistry, Algebra-he quit-Mom why do I have to take these classes to learn to run machinery? The Algebra would be the only thing I felt useful. I think these colleges just want your money.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 PM

I am a Vet Tech, though I went through a traditional 3 year college degree. I can attest that this course you are going through might not seem to be pertinant...but it really will end up being so. I had several classes that I thought were a waste of time, such as "Instrumentation." I even asked the teacher, why are we learning about this stuff when a Vet is not going to let me TOUCH a 30,000.00 machine??? Well, my first job out of college, part of my responsibility was doing preventative maintenance on thier 30,000.00 machines!!
So hang in there. It will all work out in the end. :)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by Country1
Understand. Same thing in nursing school when I went.
Sad thing is, I didn't even have to take a chemistry class when I went to nursing school!!!! I think it is a little more related to nursing than to vet tech. . . .
You are all so right. So many classes that are just a waste of time in my opinion. Had to do them though & pass them with a C or better. As I think back though so many bits of those classes sort of come together when you don't realize it.
I did have to take Chemistry but can't tell you a thing about it anymore. I think there is such a nurse shortage now I imagine they've bypassed a lot of useless classes. The quality of nursing has sure changed since I trained & worked, too, because they're cranking them out so fast.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM

breathe breathe breathe and dont fight with it. It's an expense, but there is no learning out there that isnt worth knowing. I just took 2 books out of the library on physics cus I wanted to understand more on how atoms are broken down and what dark matter actually is - and math was my worst ever subject and forget physics, never took that!
No matter what, just think of it was something that is in your path for a reason and do the best you can. If you fight it by just hating to deal with it, it will bite you! And, once you get it behind you, no one can ever take that accomplishment away from you. sharet
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Wow, as a vet tech, we didn't have to study those things..that was the vets' job to know. We were only to assist him!