Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has the American consumer lost its collective mind? >

Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:46 PM

[quote=Grandma58]Alright my daughter would, then when she gets tired of them I get the hand me downs. I have to admit I love them, they fit like second skin and they last far more then a few washings. The brand name matters! I did once pay 140. for a pair of jeans, silly I know, but I was the judge for a quilt show at a museum and for those occasions I will splurge. Other wise I wear the same two pairs of levi's for days on end!

I still have my holie hip hugger bell bottoms from the 70's hand embroidered - I can squeeze into them, if they really fit I would wear them to art openings- with a new blouse not to cost less then $100. [quote]

So ... If I'm to understand you correctly, high cost is the objective?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 AM

The kids at the schools where I sub wear these holey jeans and wear tights or bike shorts under them in different colors to show thru the holes.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM

We all work hard for our money. Why oh why can't these kids today see that it's a waste. They would rather spend it than save it. Oh well. My kids thankfully don't do it cause I won't spend that kind of money. And they have learned that.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM

No not entirely high cost as the objective, but some things very nice in the high end of low income. This is only something I do for art openings. Who buys art at the opening?- rich people- if the artist looks poor no one pays attention. I am glad I live in a small town and not a big city, I can get way with nice enough!

[quote=catrancher][quote=Grandma58]Alright my daughter would, then when she gets tired of them I get the hand me downs. I have to admit I love them, they fit like second skin and they last far more then a few washings. The brand name matters! I did once pay 140. for a pair of jeans, silly I know, but I was the judge for a quilt show at a museum and for those occasions I will splurge. Other wise I wear the same two pairs of levi's for days on end!

I still have my holie hip hugger bell bottoms from the 70's hand embroidered - I can squeeze into them, if they really fit I would wear them to art openings- with a new blouse not to cost less then $100.

So ... If I'm to understand you correctly, high cost is the objective?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM

I agree, I wouldn't pay that price for something that looks that bad.I just can't believe people would even wear something like that. I know kids some adults as well as some of the singers wear them, all I can say is to each his own.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:11 AM

It's not just clothes either.Looks like many actors etc don't make enough to afford a razor or a good hair dresser.It's getting so you can't tell the good ppl from the others :)

Originally Posted by cr12cats
i also think it is real sad that the stars,actors etc with their money and the cost of tickets people pay don't dress better than the bummy guy down the street.I can see that for free. maybe i am being odd but i refuse to pay to see that.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 AM

Same here...it's either free shipping ,on sale /clearance fabric prices or keep my money home.I'm proud to be cheap!
Prefer to spend on quality whatever & can't do that if I'm throwing money down a rat hole of junky/trashy goods.I'm proud to be cheap!

Am I cheap? I never buy anything unless it is on sale. Even fabric.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 AM

Fads would fade faster if the teens had to pay for their own stuff.The mfgrs love selling to parents CCs....easiest money they ever made :)

Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
These types of clothing are just fads. Every generation had their own fads that their parents were not too crazy about. Fads come... and fads go.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Most of the actor and singers make big money, then to have to figure looking like you got your stuff at the dump not even godwill sells things that bad.

What we like is NON whole things, our mother's would have never let us wear something like that not even to play in.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
For further proof Americans have gone crazy, price prom dresses. :shock: I know people paying $500!!!!!!
Have you seen the prices of wedding dresses?