Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has the American consumer lost its collective mind? >

Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

Has the American consumer lost its collective mind?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM

It is ridiculous that a lot of the clothes these days look like outcasts from the dump!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM

I have thought that for years, ever since I first saw those things in the stores..
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

You have to understand, them aren't just any ol' holes, them 're artfully ripped holes!

Seriously, we know kids (and some adults) love those holes, and we know most people can't afford/won't pay $179 for jeans, so maybe this could be a sideline for some of us? Buy jeans in otherwise good condition at the Goodwill, get them out of your closet or attic, rip them - artfully now! - and sell 'em on eBAY and in stores. They will already have brand names on them, so you design and embroider your own little logo onto the back pockets, something like "Ripped by <your name here>."

I'm thinking we can take this to another level. Instead of just holes, they could be cut-out shapes, such as flowers or thunderbolts, and the ragged edges could be sewn (hemmed?) in a contrasting color with maybe some additional embroidery fanning out from the hole.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
You have to understand, them aren't just any ol' holes, them 're artfully ripped holes!

Seriously, we know kids (and some adults) love those holes, and we know most people can't afford/won't pay $179 for jeans, so maybe this could be a sideline for some of us? Buy jeans in otherwise good condition at the Goodwill, get them out of your closet or attic, rip them - artfully now! - and sell 'em on eBAY and in stores. They will already have brand names on them, so you design and embroider your own little logo onto the back pockets, something like "Ripped by <your name here>."

I'm thinking we can take this to another level. Instead of just holes, they could be cut-out shapes, such as flowers or thunderbolts, and the ragged edges could be sewn (hemmed?) in a contrasting color with maybe some additional embroidery fanning out from the hole.
Great idea!

Seriously, I think the idea is that if you have time to wear your jeans out, then you must live a life of leisure. It's kind of like in the old south, the southern belles didn't want their skin to tan or freckle because it indicated they were pampered and didn't have to work in the fields. Now it's the opposite (at least pre-skin cancer it was). If you have the time to lie in the sun and get a tan, then you must live a good life and not have to work indoors for a living. The times they are a' changin'.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

as long as people are willing to pay that, or even buy them for that matter, they are going to sell crap and call it gold...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Holes in the jeans? That's still in style? Have not seen that look since the 90's/early 2000's.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
To explain the fad I listen to a desinger give an interview. Americans like the worn out look, but do not have the time to distress their own jeans, or make the best jeans look right. So they (the desingers) are doing it for us. That way we can have our favorite "worn" jeans without haveing to go through the time it would take to Wear them out.
Since distressing them takes time, they cost more.

To listen to this guy talk was so interesting, You want me to willing pay more to have you ruin a pair of jeans, and I will agree to this because I don't have the "time" to do it myself. Uh huh, right, I don't think so.
Years ago they were "distressing" jeans by putting brand-new jeans on the ground and taking a shotgun and birdshot to them. They were selling those for about the same price.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM

I read a book several years ago "The Dumbing Down of American" Guess we should not laugh at what we are being fed it apparently works,even in what we sell for clothing.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
To explain the fad I listen to a desinger give an interview. Americans like the worn out look, but do not have the time to distress their own jeans, or make the best jeans look right. So they (the desingers) are doing it for us. That way we can have our favorite "worn" jeans without haveing to go through the time it would take to Wear them out.
Since distressing them takes time, they cost more.

To listen to this guy talk was so interesting, You want me to willing pay more to have you ruin a pair of jeans, and I will agree to this because I don't have the "time" to do it myself. Uh huh, right, I don't think so.
My husband's work jeans are "distressed" so I guess he's in style. :lol:
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Broken in jeans are one thing but holes and stringy holes, and knees and buttocks showing are just trashy looking, I don't care how much money you have.