Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire? >

Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire?

Has anyone seen the movie Slumdog Millionaire?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 AM

yes there was a lot brutality in that movie, but I don't feel that it was exploitive the way some other movies are done. This one had to get across the reality of life in that part of the world, to be able to show how they were able to rise above it.

I am Sam is another movie that is really heartwrenching, I think Sean Penn does a fabulous job. It portrays brutality in another sense...that of the "System". Yet without seeing this "brutaility", it would be impossible to understand what it takes for the "underdog" to rise above the oppresion.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend who is from India. He says that happens everyday. He won't go back to live there even though he has family there. He says it's filthy except in the tourist parts, streets are full of beggers, the sick and children are sent to dig through garbage.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
yes there was a lot brutality in that movie, but I don't feel that it was exploitive the way some other movies are done. This one had to get across the reality of life in that part of the world, to be able to show how they were able to rise above it.
I don't think most films are exploitive. I've never quite understood that accusation.

But there are plenty of ways to show the misery of poverty in that part of the world. Maybe it's considered good filmmaking, but it made the film unwatchable for me.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have a friend who is from India. He says that happens everyday. He won't go back to live there even though he has family there. He says it's filthy except in the tourist parts, streets are full of beggers, the sick and children are sent to dig through garbage.
How unusual for him to be honest about it. I've known quite a few people from India, and they all minimize the problems and tell me what a wonderful country it is.

I grant you, most of the people I've known are well educated, from families that are financially at least middle class (as we think of middle class) and sometimes very well off. It kind of amazes me that overall, they are some of the most immaculate and courteous people I've ever met, yet when they show me photos of their homes in India, the walls are dirty...

Certainly India has many wonderful places and things about it in addition to the horrible parts.

I was invited once, long ago, to a friend's wedding in India. She also invited me to stay with her family there. I really wanted to go, to see her married, meet her family, and see something of the country, but I couldn't afford even the plane fare. I did wonder if it would have been hard to stay with them - like, what kind of bathroom facilities did they have?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 AM

that is the same place in the movie I stopped watching. dh told me I HAD to watch the rest.
I bawled and cried! it was a sad sad movie but the message was how resiliant the human spirit is and how we can survive and rise above.
it was an great movie.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM

For the guy who won the money, maybe it was great. Maybe his spirit was resilient? What about for all those mutilated kids?

Again, it may well have been a great movie, but I'm still thinking about those kids and I didn't even continue watching.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I talked to my friend some more about India. He comes from a well to do area but he said in America that would be considered the same as living in shacks. He said the poorest Americans live better then the working class does in India. Clean houses aren't the norm, isn't that much thought about. Laundry isn't done that often, clothes are worn more than a few times between washings. He said after coming to the US as a student he knew he would never go back to that lifestyle. The rich have better clothes and bigger houses but they aren't all that particular about clean from the ones he has known there.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM

I recently read a book called Sold which spoke about the conditions for girls in Napal being sold into prostitution and slavery. I think we cannot turn a blind eye to the conditions around the world. We, as a society (not including a small percentage of conscientious individuals), think little to nothing of wearing clothes made by child labor in other countries, or getting cheaply made goods from sweatshops in third-world countries. What we see of India on television and tourist books is vastly different from what this movie portrayed. Presenting reality might not be pleasant, but it does expose the poverty and depredation that many of us had no idea about. This reminds me of the book Three Cups of Tea where one man became enlightened to the lack of education in rural Pakistan and made a promise to help that has affected thousands of children's lives. This movie has shown light on the condition of many of India's children that hopefully has enlightened those who can make changes to help. If that movie has improved the lives of even a small percentage of children in India, then it was worth the effort. I do hope that the producers put back a large portion of the profits of the movie to help the children in that country.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Don't remember why I watched it bc it's not the kind of movie I like. Must have been at someone's home. I did not like the movie, thought it one of the worse I've ever seen.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM

MistyMarie,

You made a good point. Many people live in a way we prefer not to know. Everyone should learn about it and perhaps some day we could make a difference. Life is not good for all, no one has chosen to be born and live in extreme misery.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

The majority of people watch films for escapism and entertainment...this is perhaps not the film for this purpose and you shouldn't watch it if you find it distressing.

Unfortunately, the scenes portrayed are exactly the reality thousands of people experience daily. It is heartwrenching and extraordinarily unpleasant, but like many have said, necessary for others to learn from if they choose.

One of the most brutal and honest films I ever saw was "Trainspotting", I often think it should be shown (in it's entirety) to high school students (seniors), it certainly takes the excitement and glamour out of the drug scene.