Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever felt ignored?

You ladies are awesome and are the most helpful group of people. I agree this board is ideal when it comes to quilting and the like. You couldn't ask for any better group of people.

My thoughts were not necessarily about posting to a thread, but about posting on a thread and being ignored. Not always, but have you ever posted on a thread and felt skipped over or like your opinions, ideas, advice was totally ignored? There was never a mention or acknowledgement of it. Not that every post on a thread has to be talked about by everybody, but when it happens several times you begin to wonder why you bothered with the input.

Maybe I'm not making sense but I just wondered if others have had the same experience. And ladies I'm not bringing this up because it's just me. It is something I want to do better on because I know I am guilty of doing, the very same thing to others, that bothers me.

I have felt that way a couple of times. Once even wonderd if the word had gone out to "ingore" me. But I realize that it is impossible to read and respond to every post, I certainly can't. Also sometimes if you respond somewhere in the middle of a thread, people may not be interested enough in the thread to go back and check every posting that has come on since they last read it. Or they don't have time to read the entire thread before they make their post. I hardly check the PDA's because i don't have the time to "catch" up on what all is going on. My own PDA went nowhere, so to speak, so I havn't used it much.
    There are a lot of wonderful people on here and I don't think anyone intentionally ignores us (though we may feel like it) There's just too much to see and do here!

I have to plead guilty as charged! lol I often read a post and start to reply, then realize that some has already got there before me and written it much more clearly than I ever could.This old brain doesnt work quite as quickly as it once did so I tend to not bother to reply!
    I come on here most days just to see how you're all doing...I really must do more posting and less lurking! lol

Karen xx

I go in spurts- sometimes post a lot, but then think- shut up, you're only saying what others say. (It's that evil barb/good Barb girls on my shoulders).

I read a lot, but don't post as much. I try not ot ignore anyone at all, but sometimes we get in a fog.

P.S. I like your avatar- it's symbolic for all of us- apples, oranges, lemons, we're all different.

I am fairly new to this, I have looked for a long time but didn't register until last month. I guess I didn't realize we were supposed to post an answer to all replies. Sorry about that but it takes a lot of time and I do respond to a lot of them.

Blog Entries
    sure, it's happened to me. making my post look so out of place. i had Admin delete one in here for me once since I couldn't do that myself.
    you're not alone. it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    With the great number of people we have now, many posts get pushed to the second or third page more quickly than they did a year ago. That can be a factor too. People may think that anything that is not on the first page is an older post.....

I went to comment on a thread I started and found it on the 3rd or 4th page. There is just so much information and so many ideas that it is hard to keep up with all. If someone feels "ignored" please do not stop coming....just find your original posting and comment ...quoting the original. I did that the other day and got the answer to my question answered. Things just get buried or get off on a different tangent. Keep coming.

Blog Entries
    The board is pretty active and FAST! I know that I've seen posts pushed back on the 4th or 5th page that had one or two comments on it...I could see where those original posters might feel ignored...

I've also been guilty of not reading every page of comments...and therefore missing some comments that I probably shouldn't have...

All of that being said...it would be super nice if when we clicked on "recent topics" or "unread topics" if we got more than one page for them, like we do when we go to the individual sections of the board...is that something that's possible, or would it be cost prohibitive?

Power Poster
    Sometimes - but one can always try again.

Sometimes it seems that anything I might have said has already been said several times by the time the post reaches page 5.

It seems like there are a lot more posts - just since the middle of last December.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppi duke
    I am fairly new to this, I have looked for a long time but didn't register until last month. I guess I didn't realize we were supposed to post an answer to all replies. Sorry about that but it takes a lot of time and I do respond to a lot of them.
    Don't apologize, there is no way possible to be able to answer all posts!! We are not expected to look at and answer everything. It would consume your entire day every day to do that and we have sewing to do (and work and family and pets.....)

Here is what I have noticed:

I have posted and noticed that it depends on how many people post around the same time, but my post will end up on page two, three etc. I tend to read the posts on the first page and not go back. I will try to do that from now on.

I have found everyone here so helpful and friendly, I think that may be what has happened.

Please keep reading and posting....I am sure it was just a "busy posting time".

Margie :)

I don't respond sometimes because it's hard for me to express things. I can come across as sarcastic when I was just making a joke and someone took offense once. When talking in person it's easy to tell if someone's joking; difficult to do in print. I try to just comment if it's a straight forward: that's lovely or you did a good job. If it's general chitchat I usually don't join in so I don't offend anyone else. (I responded to you Lneal-a big step for me LOL!!)

There is so much going on with this board, I don't see how one could read or post on every thread. I know that I can't and I seriously think no one is out to hurt anyone by not answering a post. In fact I wish I did not spend so much time reading and replying to posts......maybe I would get a quilt done!!!!

Even with spending lots of time on here, I often miss posts and sometimes see them months later and wonder how I ever missed it.

[quote=Lneal]You ladies are awesome and are the most helpful group of people. I agree this board is ideal when it comes to quilting and the like. You couldn't ask for any better group of people.

My thoughts were not necessarily about posting to a thread, but about posting on a thread and being ignored. Not always, but have you ever posted on a thread and felt skipped over or like your opinions, ideas, advice was totally ignored? There was never a mention or acknowledgement of it. Not that every post on a thread has to be talked about by everybody, but when it happens several times you begin to wonder why you bothered with the input.

Maybe I'm not making sense but I just wondered if others have had the same experience. And ladies I'm not bringing this up because it's just me. It is something I want to do better on because I know I am guilty of doing the same thing to others.

I hope I have not been misunderstood here as I feel that I may have been.
    I'm really referring to posting on a thread not to a thread.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Lneal]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lneal
    You ladies are awesome and are the most helpful group of people. I agree this board is ideal when it comes to quilting and the like. You couldn't ask for any better group of people.

Maybe I'm not making sense but I just wondered if others have had the same experience. And ladies I'm not bringing this up because it's just me. It is something I want to do better on because I know I am guilty of doing the same thing to others.

I hope I have not been misunderstood here as I feel that I may have been.
    I'm really referring to posting on a thread not to a thread.
    So I think maybe you are referring to-- you answer on a post and the person who started the post never responds to your answer ? Is this correct ? As a person who has started a thread (post) and gotten lots of answers it gets very time consuming to reply to everyone who has posted a comment to my original post. It is not that I haven't read what everyone has said, but to answer each comment , makes the thread grow huge and then some lose interest and the time constraints . We don't intend to be rude
    :oops:

Yes, on occasion. And on occasion I read someone else's post that seems very deserving of a response and no one has responded to it.

I figure when that happens, the post either didn't strike a chord with people or else they didn't feel they could reply positively - though then again, people do post their disagreement with something.

I often want to just reply with a thumbs-up to something someone posted, but then I'd be ignoring all the other people's replies. So I rarely do that unless I have something of my own to add.

However, when I start a thread, I try to acknowledge every reply. Then I worry that I'm overdoing it and should back off and let people talk to each other without me commenting on every post.

So it's a fine balance. I think the only time lack of response would bother me is if I think I had a brilliant idea or insight and no one acknowledged it. Most of my ideas/insights aren't of that caliber, though, and most of the time I suspect I'm stating the obvious. Too obvious to comment on.

LNeal,

Yes, I understand and have been there many times.

You made yourself perfectly clear to me so don't kick yourself.

You keep posting and keep being you and please don't let it get you down. We need everyone on here and you are important to us.

I love this board, I try to read just about everything, staying up late to do so. I haven't been quilting very long and just by reading all this I learn something new everyday. The people on here are wonderful, it seems like all of them are friends. I don't post much and I don't want to post pictures of my quilts because I think mine are awful compared to what I see on here.
    Keep it up ladies and gents.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    I love this board, I try to read just about everything, staying up late to do so. I haven't been quilting very long and just by reading all this I learn something new everyday. The people on here are wonderful, it seems like all of them are friends. I don't post much and I don't want to post pictures of my quilts because I think mine are awful compared to what I see on here.
    Keep it up ladies and gents.
    This may be off topic, but please don't ever feel like your quilts are not worthy to be posted. We would love to see them!!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes when it's a post of pictures of quilts or something, and everyone is just saying "nice, beautiful, etc.", then I usually don't post. If someone is asking opinions, suggestions, etc., then I will post if I can put in something that adds to the discussion. If not, then I don't. I don't have hours to spend here, so I don't read everything. If you are around for a while, and post on a lot of the threads, then people start recognizing your name and will answer more often, too. Just keep going...it gets better!!

Blog Entries
    And here I figured it's just because I tend to say things that are not along the general line of thinking. :twisted: Even at that, there are lots and lots of times I don't say anything, trying not to offend.

I have noticed that some people keep their threads near the top of recent topics by responding every time someone adds to their post. There seem to be lots more new topics happening since the advent of the PDAs. I think the "old-timers" went there for the most part.

I think it comes down to time, sheer number of members and the speed of posting and sometimes a difficulty in expressing a view clearly. A message board is very different from communicating with people "live", so it does take a bit of getting used to. We are also a very diverse group, so sometimes there are cultural differences...this all adds up to missing some discussions or losing a thread now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    I have noticed that some people keep their threads near the top of recent topics by responding every time someone adds to their post.
    I'm one of those who tries to respond to replies to my threads. (I wrote about this in my earlier post on this thread.) I just want to make it clear that my purpose is not to bump my threads back to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    I have noticed that some people keep their threads near the top of recent topics by responding every time someone adds to their post.
    I'm one of those who tries to respond to replies to my threads. (I wrote about this in my earlier post on this thread.) I just want to make it clear that my purpose is not to bump my threads back to the top.
    That is not my purpose either, but when someone ask a question or you have more replies to make I think it is quite acceptable. I don't pay attention to who may be purposely bumping up their topic. If you have to do that to keep the thread on the first page, then maybe the topic is not catching as much interest.

Blog Entries
    I didn't mean this the way it has been interpreted. In fact, I wish to retract that part of my previous post as I can't think of a way to phrase my thoughts without causing offense. In retrospect, I wish I had not written that and apologize for implying something I didn't mean to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast