Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you ever had Myelogram >

have you ever had Myelogram

have you ever had Myelogram

Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 AM

Sounds like your pain is similar to mine. They did a CT scan on me. I have a pinched L5lumbar nerve. Pain orinates in back, goes across my behind to my left hip, down the outside of my leg and crosses over to the right side at the ankle. I had one nerve root block which gave great results but the procedure was not fun and those great results only lasted for a little over two months. My back x-ray shows such spinal problems that at my age, no surgery, really no help. I take Neurontin when it is really bad in the evening, but only when I have to. I hope that your problem is not as extensive and that you get a diagnosis that is treatable.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 AM

Your back is something not to fool with Surgery would really be out for me cause I scar tissue too bad Believe you me I have had my share and others in surgery I would have a MRI before I would go thru this procedure as a matter of fact Skip it alltogether Hey you asked and I sure will tell Its not worth it to not know the outcome as to how you will react to the procedure get the MRI and be safe
Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Yes, I had one twenty years ago, and I'm surprised they still do them! I had a ruptured disc in my back. The procedure was not bad, but I moved too much, and ate too quickly since I felt so good after the procedure...which was not good. I became nauseated. So...just stay still and don't eat (just like they tell you) for a few hours after the myleogram, and you should be fine. Good luck to you.
My mom had one when I was a kid. I remember her saying it sounded like they were punching a pencil thru paper. Now that was a lot of years ago so things have probably changed a whole lot. I do remember she said she had to lay still for 5 hours because they mess with your spinal fluid & it will make you real sick if you move around alot. Hopefully it will be a walk in the park. Good Luck
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 AM

I have had a myelogram and had no trouble at all. Just be sure to drink lots of water to flush out the dye from your body or you can be nauseated and have headaches. Just follow the instructions given and you should be fine.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM

I had the MRI for those of you suggesting that. it showed a herniation but the neuro doc doesnt believe that that is all that is causing the pain. Thats the reason for this test. It will show so much more of the nerves and such.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
Just wondering if anyone had everhad one of these tests or not.... I guess this is my next test in the Back hip thigh troubles..
I had one done back in 1988 and I would never want to go thru that again . I had a headache for about 2 weeks straight,could not stand to set up because my headache got worse. I feel for you. Have they done a MRI ?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM

I had one several years ago. It was horrible. Try another procedure if at all possible. The hole in my spine did not close up and after several days, they had to do a blood patch. I followed all the instructions, but had many problems and was in pain for several weeks -at the site and a dull headache. I missed a week of work. I will not do it again.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM

I just had one in March, Not bad just do as they say. I found the resting period very relaxing and time to think of which quilt I would work on next.
I did get a funny feelings in my legs when I first turned over,because you lay on your tummy while they are doing this. Other wise I had no problems. I think todays medicine has come along way. I had a luminectomy in April fo still recouperating and I have no pain in my legs. Maybe it was a laminectomy. Yes that sounds better.
Good Luck they also found 3 bulging discs.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 AM

I haven't had one, but I would tend to think if you trust your doctor and he thinks you need it, then you need it. Quite often how we deal with procedures depends greatly on our attitude going into it. My back surgery was the best thing I ever did. My issues were apparent on a MRI. Everyone's experience is different.

I say, whatever you decide to do..keep a positive attitude, its the best medicine yet!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM

I have had it done twice. No problems what so ever. I did have to lay flat for hours. They told me if I got up to soon I would have headsches and a milagram headache is one to remember. I stayed down. No food was offered so getting sick after didn't happen. I remember wanting to go potty. Kinda had to wait. Other than that....no problems. Good luck