Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you ever had Myelogram >

have you ever had Myelogram

have you ever had Myelogram

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM

OOPS, sorry for the finger flub resulting in misspelling!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM

I've had 2 of them. I won't tell ya its fun. It doesn't take long so just think it will be over soon. I hope they find whats wrong with ya. I have 4 bad discs from my tail bone up and beings I was tense it didn't help. So try to relax and let us know the results. When are you having this? I'll be thinking of ya. ;)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM

if the doctor says you have to, you have to. I had one before my back surgery in 1988 and did well til i had to ride in a wheel chair on the wobbly floor to get to the front door. it only added two days to my hospital visit and i had migraines for over a week. would only do it again if the dr insisted. good luck, hope they can find out what is wrong and that it is fixable, or at least have a not too invasive solution......
Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ConnieSue
I am an x-Ray tech and have never had a myelogram but have assisted the radiologist in doing hundreds of these. Most go very smoothly and patients aren't in pain at all. Years ago they used to have to remove the dye they put in by withdrawing it and many times lots of spinal fluid could come out at the same time which resulted in headaches. They use dye now that is absorbed into the system and does not have to be removed so it results in much better outcome for the patient. If I had to have one done I would not hesitate. Hope it will give you some answers!
I am an x-ray tech also and have done hundreds of myelograms in my career. As we said earlier, most go very smooth and patients do fine afterwards. You just need to be sure that you do exactly what they tell you to and drink lots of fluids afterwards to keep yourself hydrated. I wouldn't hesitate to have one done myself. If it tells your physician what your problem is, it is well worth it. It is very complimentary to what they see on CT and MRI and will tell a lot about your disc spaces and protruding or ruptured discs in your back. Best of luck and may God bless.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 PM

So sorry you are having that pain. (I can relate) Say your prayers and ask for guidance. Do what your heart tells you to do. Bless you and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Yes, I had one years ago. They probably are easier now than then but it wasn't too bad. I was allergic to the Demerol they used to relax me and it hyped me up instead. Other than that I didn't mind. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM

There must be a better way. I had one almost 40 years ago and, to be quite honest, I would rather die than go through that again. I'm not trying to scare you but I have had 2 kids and childbirth pain is a walk in the park in comparison. That's not even mentioning the after-effects.

I'm editing to add, as mentioned, that was almost 40 years ago. Maybe they are easier now.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Yes I have had a Myelogram for disc problems. Had to have a blood patch test put into my spinal column to reduce the headach. I would think with modern MRI's that Myelograms are a thing of the past. Good Luck not all people have the same experience. Prayers go up for you
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I don't know anything about myelograms, but I hope you get some relief, whatever you decide to do. ((( hugs )))

Originally Posted by cbpirate
if the doctor says you have to, you have to. .....
Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement (no offense). :) Except in an immediate life-threatening situation, no doctor will perform any test, procedure, or surgery on me unless I agree (or my family agrees, if I am unable.) I feel this way because insisting on a second opinion saved me from undergoing an emergency appendectomy a few years ago. The problem has since been corrected ... it was female-related (which I tried to tell them) ... and my appendix is still happily dangling in my tummy. Unfortunately, that's not the only time I've been significantly misdiagnosed, so yes, I'm extremely careful about taking things at face value. :?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM

I had one several years ago to diagnosis a herniated disc. The one thing that I remember is a feeling like an electrical shock as the needle went in. It didn't hurt.....just was a really weird feeling. No problems after that. Dr. did the back sx, and 20+ years later, the fix is still holding.