Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever lost a diamond? >

Have you ever lost a diamond?

Have you ever lost a diamond?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

well, had a promise ring. Eventually stone fell out.
Have an engagement ring and after thirty six years, stone fell out.
Fingers got too fat so had to stop wearing my wedding band.
Too afraid to wear it on my pinky.
So far everything has come before doing anything about any of these
rings, but one day I will be wearing my set again.
We have never been people of means and my rings set us back a
whopping eighty one dollars. Worth a bajillion bucks to me. ♥️
Old 10-22-2018, 07:25 AM

My first one was lost putting our first child into her crib. Years later, got a replacement in our vacation trip to Montana as a Mother's ring. Lost that and another in an Aldi's parking lot. My fingers shrink in cold weather, so did not replace them. It just wasn't meant to be.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 AM

My mother thought she had lost a ring that my Dad had given her that was very unique. Over a year later she was out to dinner with a friend, and saw it on her friends hand. She ask and the friend said her daughter had given it to her over a year ago and she loved it because it was so unique. Turns out the daughter had been babysitting for my mom at that time. My Mom didn't say anything more about it.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Well, I've never lost a diamond but did find a very expensive looking wedding set. We were three hours from home in Ames, IA for an ISU football game and I found the ring in a Sam's parking lot. I took it into the store to see if anyone had reported a lost ring but was told no. The service desk person said I could leave it there and if no one claimed it it would be the property of Sam's. WRONG! I'm too honest for that! I left my name and telephone number and took the ring home with me. A few days later I received a phone call from someone hoping I had found her ring. After a very good description we decided that I had indeed found her wedding set. My employer was going to Ames for a business meeting a week later and dropped it off at her place of business. A few days later I received a check for $50 in the mail. It pays to be honest!!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:31 PM

I have never lost my diamond. I have, however, bent prongs a few times, so I (like SusieQOH) had my diamond reset in a bezel setting. Much more secure.

My DH and I love to metal detect. We hit the beaches in the nice weather. DH hunts the water, I hunt the sand. We have found and returned two engagement rings (one was lost on their honeymoon!). We have also found 5 or 6 engagement rings that we haven't been able to return. (Yes, we notified the police that we found them, listed them on the lost items websites, etc. but no one ever claimed them).
Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM

I lost the diamond from my engagement ring a year or so before out 25th anniversary. Best I can figure it was at a concert at my son's college that was very good and we clapped long and hard. I was very upset when I noticed it. I was hoping he would replace it for our anniversary but no so luck and I was angry so went to K mart and bought one at 70% off. I still have that one and a few years ago he bought me a new set. I now wear both.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
.We have never been people of means and my rings set us back a
whopping eighty one dollars. Worth a bajillion bucks to me. ♥️
Reminds me of that Tracy Byrd song Don't Love Make A Diamond Shine

"Don't love make a diamond shine
It don't matter if it costs a dime
Dang thing looks like a million bucks
Sittin' on the hand of a girl in love
Perfect fifteen carat is duller than dirt if the heart don't wear it
With three little words it'll knock you blind
Don't love make a diamond shine"

I designed my wedding ring, there just wasn't anything out there that I liked at the time. It has 3 diamonds, all channel-set. I know myself better than to get prongs!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:01 PM

One "funny" lost diamond story: I used to take my children to a female dentist at one of the local hospitals in Boston. My youngest was in the chair with his mouth wide open, when the dentist cried out "no one move...I lost my diamond". (These were the days before gloves and masks). We couldn't find it anywhere. She believed my son swallowed it and asked us if we would watch his **** over the next few days in case he passed it. (Ah, no. File an insurance claim). We went back to dentist 2 weeks later for more work and I asked if she ever found stone. Yup, it was on the floor, next to the spit sink. Glad I didn't have to watch my son's ****. The dentist was going to file a claim when her assistant found the stone. We had a good laugh about it and every time we saw her afterward, she'd flash her ring to show she still had it.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Had a family member lose a class ring in the boundary wateres between USA and Candad. They'd been canoeing. No way to trace their steps.

4 years later his high school called. Someone else had found it and tracked him down from the info on the ring. He was delighted to get it back.

I love this story!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
My mother thought she had lost a ring that my Dad had given her that was very unique. Over a year later she was out to dinner with a friend, and saw it on her friends hand. She ask and the friend said her daughter had given it to her over a year ago and she loved it because it was so unique. Turns out the daughter had been babysitting for my mom at that time. My Mom didn't say anything more about it.
And this story makes me very sad.