Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your DNA done? >

Have you had your DNA done?

Have you had your DNA done?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 AM

I like to read this thread too. I have done a lot of genealogy work too but I did not have my DNA done yet, may be someday... no specific reason. I just put it aside for now!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I am enjoying this thread, and yes, like Jan said, DNA is not genealogy. Mr. Stitchnripper had both done and they gave very different information. It surely answered some questions for him since his heritage was unknown past his paternal bio grandfather, who remains a mystery but we know a lot about his ethnicity. that answered some medical questions for other family members. And, as always, we all have different opinions and views about all of this and it is all okay.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 AM

for those who worry about their privacy doing this, you might think about your cable TV subscription.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cord-cut...sumer-reports/
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Every once in a while I get super bored and one day I looked up my grandmother's heritage by checking the obituary for her sister. The daughters wrote in her obituary a lot of history about the family. Often you can find a lot of information by starting there.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

((()))'s to JAN. I love anything to do with family research. DNA , genes, etc. all of it. so no worries here.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 PM

I never thought about it. If I found out what I have do I change my habits, dress or what? To those that get into this have a ball with it. Everyone needs to have something to peak their interests.

Good subject Jan
Old 06-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
((()))'s to JAN. I love anything to do with family research. DNA , genes, etc. all of it. so no worries here.
Me too jan. ThANKS for starting this thread. Those who are not interested are fine, those who are are fine. DNA is NOT Geneology of course. So our family trees have many different branches. I have lived in Hawaii but am not Hawaiian, lived in England and am not English. You family could live anywhere, but millenia ago your genes could be from somewhere else. DNA is biological and Geneology is social. Big difference. Family members have different blood types, fingerprints, etc. DNA testing can be a helpful medical tool as other tests, or simply a peek into your past. I love having found my relatives.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM

I too have enjoyed reading others opinions and results. I want to do this, my siblings are of the conspiracy sorts so plead me not to. I think there is so much on line and thru purchases and browser history it doesn't matter. So I feel they have a right to their opinion and should I do the test will not share with them, just keep it to myself. My family history is spotty and some of the stories are questionable. I suspect my dna heritage could be different from what I've been told. And my medical history does not match said regional heritage. No one from 4-5 generations of very large families has the genetic conditions I have. Hmmmm.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I have no desire to have my DNA deposited into some company that can give access to who-know who, if someone wanted the information. I know my family "story" and am fine with that. Heck, I wish some of my family belonged to some other family.
I have family I have not seen or had contact with for decades. My sister has been in contact with cousins and keeps pushing me to "friend" them. Well I am "family" and they knew where I live and have not contacted me, so "friending" won't change anything. I have two half-sisters that I would not know if they walked up to me. I have nothing in common with them , except for blood...I have no interest in connecting now.
BTW, there is no confidentiality protection from these DNA places. These are not considered medical facilities and HIPPA laws do not pertain to them.
I agree. I've done a lot of genealogy on my family and I know where we came from. I doubt DNA will tell me anything I don't know and probably with less accuracy and certainly less security. DNA is not entirely accurate as shown by the some of the people who have been accused and sometimes convicted of crimes someone related to them actually committed. I just don't want to open myself up to that kind of mess for information I already have.

I have to agree with you about the family. I keep in contact with those I want to. I have some distant relatives of my father contact me after his death. I really had no interest. Family, for me, hasn't always been a good experience. More of a what-can-I-get-out-of-this on their part experience. I'm fine without that.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Some one posted that the family settled in PA and moved to Iowa. Just looking to see if the person as n ths ink or another one