Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with Chicken & crock pot >

Help with Chicken & crock pot

Help with Chicken & crock pot

Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

I have done whole chicken without the stuffing many times...I not sure about the stuffing...I would be concerned about samonella.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I do have a toaster oven how do I cook dressing in that. I've only ever cooked dressing inside the bird,that's the only way I've ever seen it done. Living in an RV sure has cooking challenges. I do have a toaster oven, micro,electric frying pan & crockpot. NO oven.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I do it! I cook as many things as possible in a crock pot, so I don't have to watch as closely as other types of cooking.
Me, i think of my crockpot as a quilters tool!

chicken is excellent in the crock..but i have never cooked it with stuffing..
Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM

I would imagine a bread pan would fit in your toaster oven Just mix up your stuffing as usual and heat it up in your toaster oven! Some people actually prefer cooking thier stuffing seperately, for me it just means an extra pan to wash, lol!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Yes....I do a turkey breast in Crock Pot....Delicious....Just cook long enough...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't know about stuffing. Sounds kind of dicey because of the low temps. I'd do the dressing separately or make another side. Chicken is perfect for the crock pot though. Take advantage of that good sale. You can cut it up too. I usually skin any chicken going in the crock pot, or brown it first. The skin gets kind of gross in a crock pot. It's a cinch to remove once the dish is done, but just not palatable and it makes everything greasy. The grease is easily spooned off, so no worries if you want to forgo the skinning part.

You can add whatever spices you like (Italian spices, canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery and fresh peppers to serve over pasta). Or Mexican spices with fresh veggies (onion, peppers, jalapeno, corn, etc.) Serve with rice and tortillas to make burritos. Garnish with avocado, salsa and sour cream. Or go Southern and cook your chicken with barbecue sauce/spices. Throw some raw potatoes on top the last couple of hours and shake out a bagged salad for a complete dinner. There are as many recipes as you can think of. Crock pots are a quilter's best friend!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM

I put whole chickens in the crock pot all the time and have for years, never with stuffing inside though.
Rae
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

A good way to make stuffing I use Stove Top stuffing mix I add an egg, some extra sage, cut up onion and celery add chicken broth and stir that all up and put in a pan and bake it,You could use your toaster oven right before it's done I put a few butter patties on the top and let melt and it's ready to serve. My family loves it.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:49 AM

We spent many yrs as full time RVers, but always had an oven. Small, but it served the purpose.I use my oven almost daily, so couldn't do without.
The slow cooker mfgrs usually have recipes on line.You could send an e mail & ask.
A toaster oven would work using a small pan, well greased (or use "Release" foil.I'd cover it for 20 mins, then uncover till done as you like.Maybe try a small amt & see how it does?

Originally Posted by true4uca
Thanks for all the comments. I do have a toaster oven how do I cook dressing in that. I've only ever cooked dressing inside the bird,that's the only way I've ever seen it done. Living in an RV sure has cooking challenges. I do have a toaster oven, micro,electric frying pan & crockpot. NO oven.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM

I did our TG stuffing with the stove top method. Did much what Sherry said. Our RV Microwave is also a convection oven but I think it is slow and not true temperature. We use our CP a lot. Our RV does have an oven and I can do a 10-12 lb turkey in it. Most of the campgrounds have dinners for TG and we did that the first year but hubby missed the leftovers.