Help with Dog PEEING!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM

We had this problem with our greyhound (rescued). The belly band works great for boy dogs, you can make your own pretty easily. Also, used a command for peeing (park time!) and gave him a treat every time he peed outside for a few weeks. Our dog is super motivated by food so he will do just anything for a treat. (even a crab apple is a treat for him.)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM

I went online and checked out the belly bands and whipped one up. I'll put it on him tonight and see how he does. It's a very crude model, but if it works I'll make some nicer ones. I'm SOOOOOOO hopeful! lol!!

I really think, after talking to the vet today, that he is just rebelling against the cold, due to his previous treatment. I have to admit that I can sort of relate.... I hATE the cold, it get's in my bones and HURTS. He's just a little guy and if it feels like that to him then I guess I'd want to pee somewhere warm too. lol

I'll keep you posted. and THANKS for all the help! I LOVE this board, and all the people on it! I was talking to my mom a few minutes ago and told her all about how you guys helped me come up with the belly bands and she was so puzzled that I got my help from the Quilting Board. haha.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Good Luck. Don't want to pee on your parade, but I gave up. I have two shitzu's (spelled incorrectly on purpose) and I have yet to get them potty trained. Got the first one when he was 8 wks old and the second one about six months later at 10 wks old. they are now 4 and 5 yrs old. They are crated when no one is home, I take them outside as soon as they are taken out of the crate, make sure they potty, get all excited and praise for "good potty", give them good potty treats make sure they go out every two hours and do the whole good potty thing everytime and then they come inside eat the puppy treat and will lift a leg on a door casing with me standing there watching. I will yell bad potty and put them outside and they will just sit there looking at me. I make sure they are feed at the same time every evening and take them outside an hour later and still they will sneak off and take a dump on the bathroom floor. Both are fixed and do not have any bladder problems. They are just very stubborn shitzu's. I have finally stared using the bands with the cheap sanitary napkins and they wear them whenever they are out of the crate and not outside. Mamma has given up and they will remain in diapers until they die. After 5 years of trying I give up, they win. And it's not one place that they keep marking, it's where ever they decide to hike a leg, and I use enzyme cleaner every time they go inside, they are just shits.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Yes neutered, and yes checked by the vet. Dangit!
From experience I can say that 'trusted' vets can get lax in their diagnosis and make mistakes.

Besides UTI and kidney stones, there's also prostate issues for male dogs (and probably female issues for female dogs). Steriods will also make dogs pee without control on their part.

I think it's important to find the right vet who will perform the right test to get to the correct answer.

Lots of luck
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Kim, you and that bus driver are the most wonderful people!
Stories of neglect/abuse break my heart.That poor little pooch :(
I hope you find a solution though. It is frustrating for sure.
Keep us posted- you are a woman with a huge heart and I'm hoping for the end of your problem soon!
HUGS, Sue
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Is he urinating to void, or marking? Something subtle may have changed in his relationship with his brother, and he's now letting all know!
Leg lifting is one reason I always neuter my pet boys while they're still squatting. :)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM

My little dog only wets or poops on the floor when the weather changes. She really hates to get her feet wet or cold. Sometimes I have to pick her up and take her outside and wait for her to go. Other times she will go out but does her business on our deck. I figure I can just hose it off better there than on my hardwood floors.
Originally Posted by LLWinston44
I went online and checked out the belly bands and whipped one up. I'll put it on him tonight and see how he does. It's a very crude model, but if it works I'll make some nicer ones. I'm SOOOOOOO hopeful! lol!!

I really think, after talking to the vet today, that he is just rebelling against the cold, due to his previous treatment. I have to admit that I can sort of relate.... I hATE the cold, it get's in my bones and HURTS. He's just a little guy and if it feels like that to him then I guess I'd want to pee somewhere warm too. lol

I'll keep you posted. and THANKS for all the help! I LOVE this board, and all the people on it! I was talking to my mom a few minutes ago and told her all about how you guys helped me come up with the belly bands and she was so puzzled that I got my help from the Quilting Board. haha.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Good luck...and don't forget to stick his nose in it...I wipe up accidents with cheap vinegar. We have a piddle pad under the dining room table so that if Tink needs to go and no one is home... :thumbup:
Not trying to flame here but why in the world would you stick his nose in it? Please, you need to educate yourself on modern dog psychology.

To original poster: after vet check, please try crate training. It really is the best way. I hope you can solve this problem and thanks for taking in the little guy.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
I have an older male dog that just can't remember where to go or how to let us know. The belly bands I use are wonderful. I line them with inexpensive sanitary napkins. The ones I use are Happy Jack Dog Diapers. BTW: That's him in my Avatar in his younger days...

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
There are belly wraps that you can use to keep him from going on things. Take it off when you take him out.
that is the one i have for my JRT..the happy jack .

After everything was ruled out..we feel it is a Jealousy issue with the other dog, who we got a few years ago and the new grandson, who is now 15 months old.
i had to start shutting doors, and using a flannel backed table cloth from the $ store. on my bed. the "diaper" worked the best.

there is someone on this board who is a foster to animals and a trainer. She helped me tremendously through emails..unfortunately i can't remember her board name..

keep anything off the floor, you don't want to get peed on. like shopping bags etc...

and then, ignore the people who tell you to get rid of the dog. they just don't understand.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 AM

Call the dog whisper.I believe he is in CA also.