Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

I have just read 4+ pages written by amazing people. I do not have to care for a senior (yet), nor do I have a disabled child. I just wanted to let you all know, I have the utmost respect and admiration for those of you who are caregivers, you truly are priceless.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

My grandson has a problem with wetting the bed. He is now on medication and doing better. If he takes it around 7 or 8 and goes to the bathroom before he goes to bed at 10:00 he will not wet the bed. It seems as if he takes it later it doesn't have time to take effect. He usually wets within the first 2 hours after falling asleep.

He used a blow up mattress for years, now he has a two yard piece of plastic that covers his bed. They sell it buy the yard at JoAnn's. The pads that most people use do not absorb well enough for him.
Good Luck
Syl
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM

When I was potty training both my boys (at the same time, sleeping in the same bed) I used Protect-a-bed mattress protector. They are not sweaty or noisy. In fact I like them so much, I got one for every bed in the house. When the boys were peeing constantly all night, I put a saddle style mattress protector then a fitted sheet and another saddle style mattress protector and another fitted sheet. Each time they wet, I just peeled back a layer and rolled them over to the clean layer underneath and went back to bed. They absorb a lot and stay in place pretty well (not slippery on the back). http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=86184

Another idea is to layer bamboo velour with a "batting" of a product called ZORB with PUL for the waterproof lining and make your own matress pads or adult sized diapers. Usually used to make cloth diapers or mama cloths. Super absorbant, soft on the skin, but still creates laundry.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM

Call her doctor to order incontinence pads, they should be covered by her medicare.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grinster
Call her doctor to order incontinence pads, they should be covered by her medicare.
Medicare should cover the pads and the meds. good idea
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 AM

nursing homes use the extra thick quilted pads underneath patients. they also use paper pads on top of those or under those so it doesn't touch the bed. its much easier to wash pads than the whole bed. why dont you try a rubber sheet also. i used those with my son who had such a problem with bedwetting. I understand how frustrating it is and hope this will help.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM

The pads will be disposable and they will "wick away" the moisture. Plastic mattress pads will not. She needs to keep her fragile skin dry to prevent breakdown. God Bless You all! She is lucky to have you to care for her.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

They only thing that saved my from having to do laundry every day with my dad was using the blue backs like they have at the hospital along with the depends. If he did go through the depends the blue backs kept the sheets dry that way if he got up in the middle of the night because he was wet, all I had to do was throw away the soiled blue backs and put new ones down. I did also by a rubberized mattress pad, like you would have in a babys crib to save the mattress, just in case the disposable pads got moved. Ii was lucky enough to know people at our local hospital, who would order them in bulk for me so I paid much less than I would at a med supply store.