Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 AM

God bless you for caring for her like you are. We should all be so blessed as to have someone who loves us take care of us in our end-time years.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM

You may have to rent a hospital bed with the special mattresses made for this problem. I think they are plastic so you won't have to worry about the mattress, just change the sheets.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bucksprt
Nurse here, that has worked many years geriatric.
Buy the water proof mattress pads that are about 30-36"" long and a little wider then the top of the mattress you are using.
That way you can tuck them under a little.
Next take a few older sheets and cut them so they are just longer then the water proof pad but keep it so that you have plenty to tuck in the sides, that covers your water proof pad and keeps it from moving. Some places even use quilted pads between the rubber pad and that top sheet you cut (draw) sheet. More comfortable in warm weather then sleeping on something that is rubberised.
Double check before restricting fluids as many elderly get dehydrated easily. There is also medications that help with control. Also check the meds she is on as some diuretic's may
be causing the problem and hours she takes her meds can be changed.
Good suggestions. I would NOT restrict liquids without dr's approval. When I cared for my mother in later years we found that speaking to the dr about adjusting when she took her lasix helped a lot. also they have extra pads to be used with the depends and hospital supply stores have better and more asorbent versions then you can buy in regular stores.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM

A lot of ladies have this problem. Try a under pad You get it where you buy the diapers. For night time wear probably the kind of diapers that have to tab closures will help. You could change her easier and put a skin protector on her like vaseline. This will help her from getting diaper rash. My mother had pads like a very small quilt type she used. It does protect the bed. I took care of my father and this worked very well for him. Good Luck. I admire you for this but she took care of you. Moms are very special.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Please be very careful about restricting fluids as seniors dehydrate quickly. Work with your doctor or nurse regarding bladder training. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM

I have quilted pads that go under my mom for the same reason,at the medical store or on line they are called chucks.They are alot easier than doing the sheets and bed things every day.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM

At hospitals they have blue pads that they put under them or you can buy rubber sheeting with fleece on one side and cut to cover the sheet where she wets and long enough to tuck the ends under the mattress. Look on line they have products for this. Remember you aren't alone. I had my mother-in-law in our home for 7 years, last year I couldn't care for her because I couldn't lift her so had to put her where they could care for her, she couldn't even help when I bathed her, very hard but I'm 72 and have a bad back and knees. It is now my job to see that she is taken care of. I will keep you both in my prayers. My mother in law is 96.
Thoughts and prayers
Mia
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Has your Mom been checked for Diabetes?
We make the bed 2/3 times so when the top layer gets wet we just take it off and have a dry one.
Blessings,
Karon
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM

I am not sure if this would help, but, I think they sell chucks, it is the disposable pad that you would see in the hospital, it has a blue lining on the bottom to prevent anything from getting to the sheets, it looks like a puppy training pad only larger.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM

First of all, cudos to you for taking care of your mother and keeping her home where she should be!
I have a quadraplegic 19 year old daughter, and I also take care of my disabled ex-mother in law. The least expensive solution for this problem I have found was buying the baby bed mattress protectors at the thrift store, cutting the sides off them, and putting them sideways across their beds, putting a folded flat sheet over that for a draw sheet.
They are waterproof,they keep the rest of the bedding dry, and they don't slip. My daughter sometimes has to be changed 2 times a night, so I do this twice on her bed. Remove the top(wet) one, and she is on a fresh one, all in one roll. She does move around in the bed, but it's rare she gets off the mattress padding.
You can also get "diaper doublers" at the medical supply company. They are lifesavers!
I have also seen back sleeper women use the male depends backwards for nighttime.
you are gettign wonderful suggestions on here, and I will watch this thread. Even after 19 years of 24/7, I am still open to suggestions! God Bless.