Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Definitely DON'T stop her drinking liquids. Worst thing you can do because they get dehydrated and the medications cause them to have delusions, etc. and then they will soon be refusing to drink. My MIL God rest her soul was incontinent for years and I took care of her & FIL. As soon as she would decide she didn't need to drink here came a bladder infection. Started to get looney and all sorts of other things. So keep on with liquids--water is most important, cranberry juice for protection against bladder infections works too. she drank a glass of that every morning. Wish she was still here, but they have been gone for 12 yrs her and 11 yrs him. We used the chux and the overnight brand of depends--got them by the case --UPS would deliver them right to the door. Every once in a whhile I see them advertised in the coupons that come with the Sunday paper.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM

I volunteer with a non-profit that advocates for elders who live in long-term care, and I see a lot of this. Many times, incontinence is caused by a low-grade urinary tract infection, so you might want to have your mother checked for that. The Depends panties, not pads, also work well at night, although they can be a little pricey - I think WalMart and others may have a cheaper store brand. Also, there are throw-away and washable pads you can place on the bed in the areas where your mother lies that will catch and soak up the urine. Meds may help. She may also be like many women who have had children and the muscles in her pelvic floor are weakened and age doesn't help. If she is healthy, her bladder may need to be tacked up and that will help incontinence. I went through this when my own mother lived with me, and part of it was the beginning of dementia/Alzheimer's, and if that is the case, they often lose the ability to detect the urge to go to the bathroom and so they have accidents. In that case, sometimes meds, etc. work and sometimes they don't. The key, to me, is to enjoy this time with an elderly parent. Many people don't get that gift of time with an elderly parent. And, take some time for yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends. Your role as a caretaker for your mother is important, but you also need to take care of you so you can, in turn, take care of her.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM

[quote=SueDor]Hospitals and I know special drug stores have these blue things they look like 24 in x 24 in. thsoe are suppose to be waterproof along with waterproof mattress pads. This iwhat I used for my mom.[/

They are called chucks. I use to use them yrs ago when Mother Nature came to protect my bedding.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Oh, and I forgot. If your mother is on certain kinds of high blood pressure medicine and heart medications, they can increase her need to urinate, and that urge may come very quickly without warning. So, I would quiz her doctor about this, especially is she is taking a diuretic. He may be able to prescribe another drug that won't create that problem. I agree with others about the water -- elderly people lose their taste for water as they age, and you really need to ensure that they are getting plenty of water each day to prevent urinary tract infections.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Suggestion: They make a diaper that ties on each side. It is a plastic outside, inside is soft flannel, in the center there is a 3 inch wide by two twelve inch pieces of flannel that you fold over three times in the center. This will fit between the legs and creates a more absorbant diaper. I purchase them from a health store when my little boy use to wet the bed at night. Worked like a charm, then the Dr. suggested we have in sleep in warm flannel pajamas as he was probably getting chilled. Saved a lot of linens to wash. God bless you. Shirley Smaldino
Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I am caring for my mother who is is almost 93. She is incontinent. She wears depends and a super absorbant pad at night, but still every morning her bed is still soaked.

I am sure that there is some solution to this problem from others that may have had to deal with this. A nursing home is not an option. But it is frustrating to have to do laundry every day.
I would definitely speak with her doctor about this problem. I don't know what your normal routine is like, but I would make sure to limit fluid intake after a certain time of the evening...BUT you should check with her doctor about this.. In the meantime, I would make sure to take her to the bathroom before bed. Do you know if she wakes up during the night? If so, you might take her to the bathroom at that time. As we get older we all tend to need to empty our bladder in the middle of the morning. This will probably mess with your routine, but if it works it will save you a lot of bed changing in the morning, and I'm sure your mother will be much more comfortable also.

Just be sure to speak with her doctor to see if there may be some help to be gained, and if this is new to the doctor, he/she will appreciate knowing.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Have you had the doctor or nurse check to make sure she's not getting a diuretic too close to bed time? Often they are prescribed twice a day, and if you don't know better, you'd give it at say 10 am and bedtime. But with furosemide, or other diuretics, you should take them as early as possible in the day - say 8 or earlier if you're up, then the second dose before supper so it has time to work before bedtime. Just a suggestion.
Also, in the hospital we have washable bed pads that are about 30" by 38". they are a cotton top, with a layer of padding, then a waterproof layer and then the bottom layer. The bottom layer is skid resistant so they stay in place. They can also be tucked up and around to reinforce an adult diaper.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Hi,all good sugestions.But ya,#1 -Dr. visit. #2 - waterproof matres covers (3). #3- bed pads (all sizes) 12 at least. #4 - medicare will pay for all these things even the depends.My hubby sometimes has accidents,and our dog, and this is what we do.Works out great.And no,I don't cut off liquids from either of them.I can wash the bedding,give them a bath,change the bed,not a big deal to me.One day I might have a problem and would want it done for me.Dignity always wins at my house.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM

I have been caring for my Grandfather for 6 years. He is 98. I hate the chucks. They were such a pain in the you know what. I never thought about duct tape but then I would have gone through a few rolls a week at that rate.
We ordered the really thick depends and those really helped too. I purchased some very soft vinal 60" wide that had a soft fabric feel on the other side, at JoAnns. It was wide enough that I could tuck in under the mattress on both sides so it would not slip or bunch up. It worked great and Grandpa said it did not make him sweat against it like other waterproof protections. I kept 3 on hand to rotate as needed. I had considered buying a couple of those drain pads you can buy at Bed Bath and Beyond for draining dishes on. I have a couple of them and I am amazed at how much liquid they can hold and yet not be soggy like sheets on the bed can get.
He got so bad with the need to urinate so often and started falling at night when he needed to use the bedside commode, that for safety sake he ended up with a cathether. It made his life so much easier. When he finally could not stand and I could not lift him, we put him into a very nice nursing home here in town. At first they took the catheter out but quickly saw he was up at all times of the night and was making a lot of mistakes in the bed so they put it back in. Life is much better for him now. As long as he drinks plenty of liquids and cranberry juice he does just fine with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

I used to put a plastic sheet under a double folded cotton sheet , this forms a "draw sheet" which can be taken off and replaced WITHOUT having to make the bed each time.
However you deal with this ,plse rub your Mother's pressure points, unless skin broken, with surgical spirit it will prevent bed sores, my gran was like this for 9 mths and never had a bed sore.