Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Bladder infection may cause subtle behavior changes, one gentleman would get frisky, another lady would talk to her dead mother, another would just be irritable, the first thing we did was check for a UTI (urinary tract infection). Be sure and check if you suspect one because many complications if you let it go too long.
Is the incontinence new? Have you told her medical provider about the incontinence?
Old nurses do find it hard to change, especially what we call items. Chucks is the name we used.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 AM

I took care of my mother for a while. Had a baby monitor in the bedroom and when I heard her I would get up and go help her get changed. She is in assisted living now and they come in and change her 2 times a night. The bed still has to be changed sometimes. We have waterproof matress cover and the square pad under the sheets and on top. Good Luck
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM

I too am a 24/7 caretaker for my Granny(97). I get "Assurance "underpads from WalMart.30x36 extra large.
You might check at a medical supply place for a hospital chuck.I have no idea why they call them chucks, but they do.
Hugs to you!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Priva-Ultra-Wa...044998&sr=8-11

I purchased two of these sewed them together and then added side panels to tuck under the mattress. It worked so well I purchased two more and made another one to replace the soiled one. If you have questions pm me
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Take her to a Dr., don;t second guess this, not healthy
Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Cut back on liquids in the PM and give her some raisons to eat. The raisons soak-up liquilds in her system. These are the free things that may help.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Nurse here, that has worked many years geriatric.
Buy the water proof mattress pads that are about 30-36"" long and a little wider then the top of the mattress you are using.
That way you can tuck them under a little.
Next take a few older sheets and cut them so they are just longer then the water proof pad but keep it so that you have plenty to tuck in the sides, that covers your water proof pad and keeps it from moving. Some places even use quilted pads between the rubber pad and that top sheet you cut (draw) sheet. More comfortable in warm weather then sleeping on something that is rubberised.
Double check before restricting fluids as many elderly get dehydrated easily. There is also medications that help with control. Also check the meds she is on as some diuretic's may
be causing the problem and hours she takes her meds can be changed.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I am caring for my mother who is is almost 93. She is incontinent. She wears depends and a super absorbant pad at night, but still every morning her bed is still soaked.

I am sure that there is some solution to this problem from others that may have had to deal with this. A nursing home is not an option. But it is frustrating to have to do laundry every day.
You are a wonderful person to care for your mother. If you have children you will be an example on to how to treat their parents. I don't have a solution but, maybe limiting liquids at night or check her meds. to see that could be causing the problem. Have you talked to her Dr. about this problem? Somethimes the medication can be changed to AM. Talking to the DR's. nurse sometimes is even more help. This not normal and should be checked, for a cause.
My grandmother lived with us. Mom did not have a dryer it was sheets hanging on wooden dryers all winter. But when my folks were in need I never thought about driving 300 miles (one way) every weekend. Wish I could still go for a visit.
We care for our parents because we remember who they were and what they did for us. It must be very uncomfortable for her at night. Let us know if you find a solution, it could be helpful to someone else.
Let me know how it is going. Hang in there.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM

See if your local hospital has an incontinence clinic or consult a doctor. Many solutions are minimally invasive.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Caffeine contributes to this. If she is drinking any, eliminate it. The other suggestions on the board sound great. Try them.