Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM

there is a utility fabric called PUL. it is great for diaper covers. could you make something like that for her to wear? it is a very flexible fabric, and not itchy or crinkly at all. good luck.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Allegro medical.....google them that is where I bought mattress pads instead of puppy pads. They are exactly the same except these are larger and the cheapeat around. Every week or 2 they have free shipping.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 AM

You can get the bigger ones that tuck in, http://www.carepathways.com/estore-c...rawsheet%20Pad and for a case of 50 they look a good buy seeing it does away with the laundry problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 AM

Also be careful with the rubber products. They can cause allergic reactions such as sores and rashes even if covered by a cotton sheet.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 AM

You've gotten some good advice and some good links. I would not recommend holding fluids from her though. FIL did this to MIL and she became very very sick from it. It really messed up her electrolytes and caused her to have many problems with medications because she was so dehydrated. Just a something to think about.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 AM

I can tell you what finally worked for me when I took care of my Dad. He had Leukemia and this was a big issue after Chemo treatments. First, is she taking any kind of "water pill"? If so, talk to the doctor about the timing of thoses. As far as drinking, with my dad, he was on so many meds that his mouth was dry ALL the time. He would have been miserable if he didn't have something to drink by him at all times. He had to have water with him in the car even so you might want to think about that or talk to her maybe. The chuxs work OK but they bunch up if you put them right under them and they move around so here is the system I used. This is with a hospital bed. If you don't have a hospital bed, ask the DR to write an order for one and Medicaid will pay for it. Anyway...here is what we did with dad:

1. Make sure that the skin is protected with a REALLY GOOD skin cream from the DR. This is SO important because if the skin starts breaking down it is very hard to get it healed.
2. If this works, you will still need to make sure that you change her brief (adult diaper) ASAP after it is wet to avoid skin break down.
3. OK...now that I gave my "don't let the skin break down speech" LOL....Make sure that the Depends or whatever brand you are using has extra padding in the back if she lays on her back. The style for men has the padding in the front which doesn't work at night. You may have to play with how you put them on to get them just right.
4. For the chux, which do work but bunch up, put a really large chux down and use duct tape to tape it to the bed. Now, take a top sheet and fold it to where it is big enough to cover the chux AND the duct tape with plenty of room to make sure that if she moves around, the tape wont end up touching her legs.
5. So....you now have a chux with a folded sheet over it. Go to Walmart or somewhere like that and in the section with the mattress pads and stuff there will be these straps that you use to attach sheets down. Use these to attach the sheet covering the chux to the bed so it will stay in place. With a hospital bed, the springs are underneath so I just attached one end of the strap to the sheet and the other end to a spring under the bed to pull it tight. I did about 3 on each side of the sheet.
6. Now, when you go to change her, just ask her to get on her side (if she can't get up) and roll the sheet, chuxs and all right up to her back. Then roll her over the other way, rolling her over the rolled up sheet, etc. and remove it all. Then you put it all back down the same way.
I bet that is all about as clear as mud. If she has insurance or if you know ANYONE who has done any nursing or anything like that, they could show you how to do it all. Also, like I said, all the briefs, chuxs, etc. should be covered on Medicare/Medicaid.
I hope this helps. I took care of my dad for 2 years. It was very hard since he was over 200 pounds but I am so glad I did. He broke his leg (both bones) and had to be placed in a nursing home/rehab from the hospital and never made it home. We lost him in July but I really think he made it as long as he did because he was able to be here with us. Good luck! :D
Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 AM

Are you using a disposable adult depends, TENA (whatever brand)? Most of the brands have an overnight product that can be a life saver. The bladder training of every two hour toileting can really work. If your mother is ambulatory would she be able to get herself up and use a commode or the bathroom using an alarm. This would help you get your rest and her keep her independance.
otherwise, Iwould make my own underpad using a waterproof fabric and several layers of flannel. I would use a cross stitch to quilt the layers together. Make it big enough to cover the bed from midchest to knees. If it comes to a point when you have to turn your mother while she is in bed, the pads make a great turning sheet so you are not pulling on your mother.
The protective coat for the skin is a great idea especially if she is going in large amounts. They have some that are just barrier cream or lotions, they are clear and just are barriers to prevent breakdown. If she has a rash or irritations be sure you use medicated ointment. There actually is a product that is Butt Cream, first time a Dr ordered it I thought it was so funny. Litttle minds are amused by little things.
Look up incontinent pads on the internet and contact the company, ask for samples to help you make your decisions.
Good luck and remember it won't be under control overnight- LOL
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 AM

Go to Targer, K-Mart, Walmart and buy the large pads for her to lay on. My mom is invalid and lays on these all the time and is used to "collect stuff". I suggest getting the largest size. Lay it on top of the bottom sheet.

These will not cause any skin irritatioin. Mom has laid on them for 4 years and never a rash.

Poise is one brand but we've been using the store brand...much cheaper. In the incontinence area. PM me if you want.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 AM

I found I liked and mom liked the Tena brand best. I never did buy any at the store. Either craigslist or St. Vincent de Paul or Goodwill for usually $5.00 pkg. Also the waterproof pads like they usse in the nursing homes for 2.99. Oh, I just noticed you live in Spanaway. I'm in Auburn. If I can help you collect some things, give me a PM and i'll send you my #. Carreen
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by tmw
Originally Posted by Caroline S
I am caring for my mother who is is almost 93. She is incontinent. She wears depends and a super absorbant pad at night, but still every morning her bed is still soaked.

I am sure that there is some solution to this problem from others that may have had to deal with this. A nursing home is not an option. But it is frustrating to have to do laundry every day.
could you cut back on her liquids in the late afternoon.?
This was going to be my solution too. Like, no liquids after 7p.m. or thereabouts.