Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence. >

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Help! Need suggestion for mother's incontinence.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM

I started out with depends for my DML but finaly she had to have a catheter when she could no longer walk with out supporte when she came to live with me I just didn't bring any of her panties and just put the depends in her dresser drawer. Hope Hospis did the cath for me which sure helped. She felted that her independence was taken away but it sure helped her feel more comfortable and saved my furniture. good luck hope it goes smothely for you
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM

About all I can suggest are the pads that are water resistant and has plastic absorbent pad on one side. This is what we used for under the sheet and on top of the sheet. We got them at a local medical supply store, and you can buy them online I'm sure, just Google bed pads and you should get plenty of hits.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Be care about putting a shower curtain or plastic sheeting under the sheet. My sister-in-law did that to my MIL and it was so slippery she slipped out of bed and was on the floor for hours. I would only use a rubber sheet or something made for that type of problem.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

one way we have found that helps is NO LIQUIDS after 6pm; being sure to go to the bathroom before bed...in my (care-giving world) bedtime is about 10. we did work with the dr and tried a 2 hour bathroom schedule for awhile-- i would go get grandma up every 2 hours for the bathroom, we used a bed side comode so she didn't have to go far, and she appreciated not having a soaked bed in the morning. after about 2 months she did not need to go every 2 hours, we moved it out to 3, then to 4...now (she's 97) she drinks nothing after 6pm (except a little drink to take meds) and she goes before bed, and i go in after 4 hours and wake her and ask if she needs to go...most of the time the answer is yes. and then she can sleep in until 8 or 9am without accidents.
has been about a year since we started with the 2 hour schedule---been on the 4 hour one for over 6 months-it works for us...
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I am caring for my mother who is is almost 93. She is incontinent. She wears depends and a super absorbant pad at night, but still every morning her bed is still soaked.

I am sure that there is some solution to this problem from others that may have had to deal with this. A nursing home is not an option. But it is frustrating to have to do laundry every day.
I am getting some wonderful suggestions from all of you. Mother is still ambulatory. I am using some underpads but they are not big enough because she does a lot of moving around at night. I guess bigger is better and will check further on line. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

You have a lot of good advice so far.
I think it's wonderful that you are caring for your Mom.
Those pads that look like the ones in the hospital are great.
They are washable and comfortable under the person in bed.

I don't have a link but I'm sure a medical supply has them.
I don't like those Chux b/c they have plastic backs and bunch up.
Good luck!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Have you ever thought to go to a nursing home and ask them what they use for their patients? Some are bedridden, some can get around in wheel chairs, those are the ones who must wear diapers 24/7.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:31 PM

I believe the underpads they are referring to are commonly known as Chux--they come in different thicknesses....hope it helps. My father was terminally ill and wanted to remain at home--it sure helped keep him comfortable.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
I believe the underpads they are referring to are commonly known as Chux--they come in different thicknesses....hope it helps. My father was terminally ill and wanted to remain at home--it sure helped keep him comfortable.
Chux is what we called the at the hospital and nursing homes I have been in. I do believe they come in larger sizes too, or use 2 of them overlapped.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:38 PM

I just remembered that I also found some fabric that wasn't quite waterproof, but had kind of that feel, that I just bought 3 or 4 yards of it, and make a much bigger "pad", then I would put a couple of the store bought pads over it. I don't know if this will help or not.