Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
herniated discs...have you got em?? >

herniated discs...have you got em??

herniated discs...have you got em??

Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I'm sorry, and probably not amusing to you, but I just received notice last Monday that I was divorced from my herniated disc.
Good for you! It's not easy, but sometimes we've gotta do what we've gotta do!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Swap Hosts

Oh, that's awful. I broke my back in my 20s and did recover although I wasn't expected to walk again. Now, several decades later, I have a few herniated discs. But, I'm leaving them alone. I know they do wonders with micro-surgery these days, but I can't shake the memory of being in a full-body cast for 7 months.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM

I have a couple of bulging discs in the lower back, my legs ache most of the time but I don't think I am ready for surgery. Like most here, if I do something stupid, it really tells me. I did have injections but the last one didn't do much good so I think I will hold off for now. Good luck with the surgery. I hope all goes well for you.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm so glad you have a Dr. now that is taking care of business and will be treating the real problem. Isn't it frustrating to have Dr.'s that don't listen or don't take the proper action when it's called for. Soon I hope you'll be having the proper treatment and be in less pain soon.

I can sure relate to the pain and my Dr. had to try 3 times before my insurance company would allow the MRI. The results showed my discs are gone and three verterbae are tilted out of place.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 AM

How awful to go that long in pain because of inept physician. Glad you found one who listened and acted!! Good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by lynnie
i know how you feel, have degen disc disease along with ruptured discs nerve dam all the stuff, getting a dorsal nerve stim put in hopefullly next week, went for the trial last week, got to the doc tomorrow to set up surgery app. I had to get off all those drugs i took every day. look into that at a pain magmt doctor, some people here have themimplanted already. what a difference it makes, no pain, no drugs pm me if you want info
I am hoping for a NON-surgical healing..but the Dr today said it was highly unlikely..sigh...funny thing is all of my pain in my hips/legs...NOT in my back...who knew...
I definitely urge you to seek a doctor that will allow you to try physical therapy first. Not a chiropractor but actual physical thereapy. I have two disks in my back (I'm sorry I can't remember the numbers) that were on the verge of rupture. I had hip pain (called referred pain), back and neck pain. The doctor wanted to do surgery on me immediately but I begged him to let me try physical therapy first. The only reason he relented was because I was able to walk (just barely) into his office on my own. I did intensive PT and now I have been pain free for 8 years. Those years also included a pregnancy (which he said I should avoid as it would cause too much stress and may cause the discs to rupture). I am careful about lifting in certain positions and I had one little flair up but for the most part no further issues.

It may not be appropriate for your specific situation but it is worth a shot. I think the thing to remember is that you can't really non-surgically reverse the damage, per se, but it can be managed in such a way that you are not in constant pain and on alot of medication. Good luck to you.
You CAN reverse disc damage WITHOUT surgery. I've been living with disc problems since 1978. Came close to surgery in 1985: my chiropractor and neurosurgeon worked TOGETHER to see if I could avoid surgery, and I did. 6 weeks of 3 times a week chiro treatments got me out of pain, and eliminated the numbness in my leg which was caused by a herniated disc. Now, I see my chiropraactor regularly to avoid further trouble. And I walk and do exercises faithfully. I have 2 degenerating lumbar discs and damaged cervical and thorasic discs, but I rarely have pain, because my chiropractor and I take good care of me.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Trust me you don't want to go the surgery route at any cost. I did the surgery for herniated disc in my L4-L5 they took the disc out and didn't fill the space up. Now the disc has closed onto my sciatic nerve so I'm in pain 24 hrs a day, and now have the hip pain you were talking about. I went from working full time and being 100% active to being 100% disabled. The spine is the last place you want someone with a scalpel if at all pssible.
To help with me mobility now I swim 3 times a week in an aqua class, and do healing yoga. Along with seeing a chiro 3 times a week. Back problems don't get better with surgery they get worse, I take more pain meds now than I did when I first had the problems.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 AM

I had one at the L5, but after physical therapy and continued back exercises at home for over a year I can now sit almost anywhere and my back is happy. The book is by Peggy Brill and it is called The Core Program. You should be able to get it from Amazon.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Best to avoid surgery, I agree.

As I said before physical therapy worked wonders for me, 2x a wk for 5 months. My Dr. bless her knew my problem cuz she suffers from the same thing, she told me to go to PT (I didn't know at the time that she also had herniated cervical discs). Hubby told me to go to chiropractor cuz it would be cheaper ... but I was in tremendous pain the whole time I was there, having to crawl off the table slowly. Kept getting worse but have to say that he was the one who sent me to get x-rays that showed the osteo-arthritis / degenerated disc. When my Dr got the results she yelled at me for not going to PT first.

About a month into PT I walked in and there was my Dr getting her therapy too.

But even my therapist said that not all people get relief from PT. Gratefully it worked for me and if I feel those warning signs that I didn't recognize b4, I start to do my stretches etc and stave off a relapse.

We have to take good care of ourselves.

I hope that you get relief without surgery
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM

I had herniated disk surgery in 1985 and have done well since, but I was in my late 30's @ the time!!! Hope all goes well and you have a good surgeon who you trust.