Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
herniated discs...have you got em?? >

herniated discs...have you got em??

herniated discs...have you got em??

Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Hello. I had one herinated disk before. I was off work for about a year. Had physical therapy for over 6 mos. Went to back scholl whick helped some. I can not imagine the pain from 3 H disks. Good luck to you. They always say the best clue to this kind of injury is the sideways 'crab walk'. I am sure you will know what I mean. God Bless.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Oh my gosh, I feel all your pain. I couldn't have said that before Feb 25th when I broke my back. My dh has disc problems and I never knew how bad he hurt. I'd run and get the ice when he overdid it but had no concept.
My dh has been eating the raisins in gin every day and seems to help some. I know it has helped me.
The poor man gets a buzz on with the gin in the raisins. (^..^)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen
Oh my gosh, I feel all your pain. I couldn't have said that before Feb 25th when I broke my back. My dh has disc problems and I never knew how bad he hurt. I'd run and get the ice when he overdid it but had no concept.
My dh has been eating the raisins in gin every day and seems to help some. I know it has helped me.
Anything soaked in gin would probably anesthesize me enough to help - LOL. Seriously though, ice really helps me when I've overdon and the nasty disc slips enough to touch my spinal cord and make me wince. I get flat on my back, raise my knees with a pillow, and ice on for 20 minutes, off for 20 minutes. Repeat until it doesn't hurt. Good excuse for reading a good book for a while.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I second the ice. The pain clinic I went to said to use ice even when exercising -- never heat. They would give me an ice belt to velcro around my waist so I could exercise longer while in the clinic.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 PM

I agree!
Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by Ellen
Anything soaked in gin would probably anesthesize me enough to help - LOL. Seriously though, ice really helps me when I've overdon and the nasty disc slips enough to touch my spinal cord and make me wince. I get flat on my back, raise my knees with a pillow, and ice on for 20 minutes, off for 20 minutes. Repeat until it doesn't hurt. Good excuse for reading a good book for a while.
:lol: :lol:
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM

If you need surgery, don't put it off too long. I had a ruptured disc at T1-T12 and one at T5. This at age 39. tried everything went to 3 different surgeons before the last one said that it would help my legs. Arthritis had set up in it and it is still spreading. Couldn't hardly move last year. I finially had the nerve endings burnt. I also have a pain pump and have to have it refilled about every 40 days.I had my back surgery in 2000. It was the best decision I could have made. My legs quit going numb and stinging and burning all the time. Good Luck and God Bless
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Just started therapy last week for this same issue.
My MRI shows 2 ruptured and 1 herniated disk..L3-L4-L5.

I've had degerative disk disease since my early 20s...and 3 of them are wearing thin.

We are definitely trying to avoid surgery if at all possible. I'm doing the core muscle strengthening ... don't wanna take pain pills and don't want surgery.

Have already had C5-C6-C7 cervical disk fusion in the neck back in 2007...the neurosurgeon nicked my spine during this procedure and my entire left leg is permanantly numb now.

The neck is better, but the trade off of a bum leg, was not what I had hoped for.

Best of luck to you. I'm starting my walking program again...slow progress, but every little bit helps.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Have allready had back surgery for rupsured disk, and my last MRI showed all of disk are bulging in lower back plus in the neck. I fill for you , some times I get down and have to use a walker. Hope you get better.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chronic-pai...ry?id=13950802

Just read a real interesting article on the ABC news site about chronic pain ... it says more than 1/3 of americans are living with it.

I know I've lived with it for the past 25 years...some days better than others. After 7 surgeries, the pain continues.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I was just told that the HIP issue I have been being treated for over the last year plus was NOT a hip issue at all...though since the Doc would never take xrays or have an MRI done how would she have known...fast forward to a NEW doc..would not even see me until I had xrays...did not like them so off for MRI...today I am told..worst case of 3 herniated discs he has ever seen...with multiple other issues causing nerve damages!

Great....
Today I get to see the neuro surgeon...hardly slept all night...need to try and think positive today...