Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
herniated discs...have you got em?? >

herniated discs...have you got em??

herniated discs...have you got em??

Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

just back from NS...GOOD NEWS!!
damage not as bad as first thought, NO surgery in near future..steroid injection on the 18th for the lower nerves that are pinched!

Thank you all for you words of wisdom and good thoughts!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
damage not as bad as first thought, NO surgery in near future..steroid injection on the 18th for the lower nerves that are pinched!

Let me know how the injections work...that's my next option.

I'm in my 3rd week of physical therapy and it's just aggravating the situation...tried the waist traction today...wasn't pleasant at all.

Glad to hear that you got to meet with the neuro-surgeon...and got good news. It's so much better to get info from the experts. I go to a neuro-surgeon at the Brain & Spine Institute in Ann Arbor...they know their stuff...so I feel confident hearing results from them.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Hope the injections help. I know they do for me. Actually once I get the serier of three they seem to last for a couple of years before I have to go do it again.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ann L
Hope the injections help. I know they do for me. Actually once I get the serier of three they seem to last for a couple of years before I have to go do it again.

Good luck.

my cousin in CA just one her first one in her neck...going for her 2nd the same day I have my first...

she said it has been great...

I am praying for some relief that is for sure...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

well, I had a spinal injection this morning around L-4-5 on the left side...so far...nothing but pain still...next stop...who knows...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Takes a day or two to really work. Sometimes it takes the whole series of three since it is so aggravated. I hope it works, it does for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
A lot of us have them! In fact they say MOST ppl have them. Stretch, try to stay in shape ( I'm still trying!) keep the core strong, walkm or swim for exercise, don't suffer in pAin needlessly !!! Also educate. Educate! It's ur body!!
This is excellent advice... I would only add: if at all possible, see a Physical Therapist for guidelines and to get you started in the right direction... educate you on correct parameters for exercise and stretching...
PT pretty much resolved my bulging disc, but it wasn't severely bulging...

getting one's core stronger is important for all of us!!

Hope the pain goes away soon... definitely not a fun time!!!

:cry:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by running1
A lot of us have them! In fact they say MOST ppl have them. Stretch, try to stay in shape ( I'm still trying!) keep the core strong, walkm or swim for exercise, don't suffer in pAin needlessly !!! Also educate. Educate! It's ur body!!
This is excellent advice... I would only add: if at all possible, see a Physical Therapist for guidelines and to get you started in the right direction... educate you on correct parameters for exercise and stretching...

I agree...I"m in my last week of PT...I'm feeling ALOT better than when I started...and frankly, I didn't think it was going to help much, but I went to it because the doctor said to. I've learned that I need to stretch twice a day and keep active...the hip traction has helped tremendously too. I just hope I still feel this good a month from now...hopefully I'll be able to keep everything aligned.

My 2 bulging, 1 herniated, and 3 degenerative disks haven't felt this good in a long time!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by running1

I am going to ask about this..the neuro tried his best to show my what my limitations are going to be even if the shots work...he said there is no fixing the discs really..just learning what I can and can't do in the long term...the limitations of each day...I can do a lot of things, but certain movements are worst than others..so those I need to try and identify and avoid doing too often!

pretty neat guy for a neuro...my worst pain during the procedure was the silly pillow they inflated under my tummy...I have a lapband and that pillow was pushing against the port that is sewn to my muscles...man it made it hard to breathe...but I maintained...and it was all over in 7 minutes....bet it cost $8,000 too!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM

I go to a pain clinic for the shots and they knock you out once you are on the bed. Never know what happened till its over and done with.