HGTV Sewing shows?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 AM

I used to have HGTV on most of the day because of the craft and sewing shows, I especially loved Sandra Betzina and learned so much from her teachings. I haven't watched HGTV in two years, there is nothing on it of interest. I also hung out on their message boards, checking them 2-3 times a day just to keep up. Now if I check once a month, it takes me about 10 min. It's so sad. And DIY is the same.

When this whole change took place, the message board members had writing sprees, both computer and snail mail messages, to no avail. They just kept chopping shows, one after another until none were left. They do still have a rather active Needlework/Sewing board, I think the quilters just keep hanging out there, dreaming of what once was.

I have watched Sewing with Nancy on PBS for years and years but our channel also has, McPfee, Pullen, a knitting/crochet show and a number more. You might check with your local stations and ask for them. I was an avid fan of Aleene's and Pattie Dunham who was on her show, had a PBS show in the Midwest. But crafting and sewing shows are pretty much 'dead.' Yep, sad for the upcoming generations who need to learn these things. I've sewed for over 50 years and am still going strong.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM

they're online now and you have to pay if you want to watch them
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM

HGTV used to be my favorite television channel and I loved all the quilting and sewing shows but also enjoyed the stuff on gardening and decorating. I rarely even tune it in any more and when I do, hoping that I might find some shred of what I remember, it seems to be some maniac screaming hysterically and tearing things up. Pity.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Some PBS chennels have quilting sewing scrabbooking and bead shows on Saterdays. yes HGTV is for the do it yourself but not for the quilters. I did write them too, since the Carol Duval used to be recorded here in California at the city of Burbank.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow Bird
Add my vote! I once watched HGTV all the time because of the craft/sewing/quilting and gardening shows. Now I rarely watch.
I added HGTV to my Direct TV programing because of the sewing and quilting shows, plus Carol Duvall. Now I don't watch it at all. Tired of all the selling, buying, construction,and deconstruction on there now.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM

I agree with the other posts ... I use to watch HGTV all the time, every day I watched Alex Anderson.. and even oved the re-runs. .. But now ... I never tune to that station. Just how many times can you watch re-do your home stuff.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747
Remember when HGTV had shows like Alex Anderson's and other sewing shows? Where did they go? Or how about the gardening shows? I wrote to them and express my wishes but, alas, it apparently did no good. :thumbdown:
I'd like to know that as well. I was the propmaster for 2 of the sewing shows. Worked for them until they closed down. I understand Sandra Betzina (Sew Perfect) and Susan Kalji (Sew much more) both moved their shows to California. I don't know what network they are on though.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
You can find them at hgtv.com under watch full episodes. I just found them there myself.
If you are talking about Simply Quilts, not all of the episodes are available to watch. :-(
Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I miss them too, but sometimes if you can get Create TV you can see Fons & Porter, Georgia Bonesteel and a few others like Martha's Sewing Room and Sewing with Nancy, the last might be on PBS. But you can also go on Nancy Zieman's website and see her series online. Check it out.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I e-mailed them when they took Simply Quilts off the air. Sent several nice messages and never heard from them at all. Needless to say, I do not watch HGTV hardly at all any more. I miss the quilt shows too.