High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i have a top loading HE.
i do not like it, sam I am.
i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

i can't control the water level.
it does not get clothes as clean as the old washer did.

still ... it's better than rocks at the river. LOL
I agree 100%. I have a Maytag toploader - CANNOT balance it no matter what. I finally gave up and told my DH I would let it shake itself to death then kick it to the curb and try to find something better. They (HE) just don't use enough water and there is little control of anything.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i don't like the new machines because one cannot open the lid to add a forgotten item after it starts and one cannot use just hot water if one has a mind to... there is a thermostat that automatically adds cold water if the tub gets too hot.
Ditto! Just 2 of many things I don't like about HE machines.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I hope they still make top loading ones when I need to replace mine. I like being able to wash a quilt in mine with lots of water. The drawbacks I have heard for front loaders are: small things get sucked into the pumps, mold can grow at the doors and there have been reports of children crawling into them.
First of all; even top loaders can get small socks etc sucked intot he pump. I have a front loader and if I'm missing a sock or two there is a space in the front that I check and its there. The only thing that I had problems with getting sucked into the pump are the Color Catchers so I pin them to fabric. This can also happen to all machines.

I've never had problems with mold in my doors or oders in my machine either.

I have a heavy quilted king size quilt that I wash in mine with no problems. I made sure (just as I did in my top loader over 20yrs ago) that I buy the large capacity washer and the extra large capacity dryer. It used to be that I could wash 2 to 3 loads of clothes in the time my dryer took to dry one. Now they are neck and neck for timing and my laundry gets done fast.

I have a soak feature if I need it which works great. My machine automatically detects how much laundry I have in it and adjust the water so no going back and forth (which I'd forget) between large and small load settings. My dryer has sensor in it and detects when the clothes are dry so it doesn't run more than it needs too.

I'm so happy that I got the front loaders, they save me lots of time, money on water and soap, etc. It is so easy these days to find the HE detergent rather you are buying the expensive kind or the cheap ones, there is always HE for detergent and softeners.

My the way, I can stop the machine and add additonial things, if you do it in the middle of the cycle it will empty the water first so that you don't have water all over the floor. But really, if this is the only downside to my machine, its no big deal. I'd rather save money, less time to do laundry and gets my clothes cleaner and I do not have a noise problem with mine. Mine are in my kitchen and I have to turn around to look at them to see if they have stopped to find out; unless I have the little button turned on that tells me. I like when them machines do that; like the best sound it at the end of embroiderying an item, it has the sweetest melody to say, all done. Instead of fixating on the negatives of front loaders, compare the top and the front and see whats best for you. My last washer was over 20 yrs old and she still wasn't dead but her frame rusted off but she still ran. She was a Kenmore

Last edited by romanojg; 07-29-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 AM

I would not recommend a front loader. No soak cycle. The small amounts of water make the clothes wear out more quickly. If you want more information, please feel free to PM me. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend a lot of time searching for a top loader that uses a bit more water.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I might be in the market for a new washer (the other one may have died last Thursday - it's at the repair shop at the moment) - so the comments about the HE washers are very helpful. Hope my old one is still salvageable - but the loud 'PING' sound it made was alarming. Sounded like something major broke.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Glad to see all this information about washers. Mine is about ready to go. The lid is rusted (yes I do wipe it down often). here in Corpus Christi, we have Sutherlands Lumber. They also sell items such as Home Depot and Lowes. Saw a washing machine that had an agitator that was not as high as most. Told my husband I would be happy with something like that. Agitator (or where it would be) is only about 4 inches high and flush with the bottom. it was about 450.00 and it was heavy duty. You also set the rinse water to the temp you want!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Don't Like them either. They seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. I prefer old timey washers, I think they get the cloths much much cleaner. My dad always taught me to buy simple. Well he has proved it many times over the past. I do have a frontloader HE machine. Either the load is too small or can't get the door to unlock, or it wont spin out or something. IS very aggravating at times. When it comes time to purchase a new washer, I'll go back to a less hi tech one.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 AM

I prefer the top loaders for 2 reasons - my front loader constantly had a musty smell no matter how much I cleaned the front seal - I took to washing with a cup of vinegar in the rinse which did help. Second, I make pickles and use the washing machine on gentle cycle to wash the cucumbers - tried this in the front loader - not a good result!!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by vjjo743 View Post
I am buying a new washing machine, last one I purchased 10 years ago and I know they have changed alot. Wondered if anyone has an opinion about any new machines. Thanks
I have a front load and the mold around the door seal is a real issue. I always leave the door open but still.......Will NEVER buy another front load again. When time to replace hoping to get top loading HE.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 AM

I have a problem with HE washers and dishwashers. If you notice they offer "cleaners" for your washer and dishwasher to use if they smell bad....SMELL BAD! Which means to me they are not getting the machine clean when they run, let alone your washing and your dishes! I had to buy a HE dishwasher and I don't like it. It doesn't clean nearly as well as my old one and I hate having to wash dishes before I wash dishes! We were able to get a washing machine that was not HE and it works fine.