High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
If you have a film on your clothes it sounds like the water level isn't high enough to rinse your clothes; have you checked it to make sure its filling properly. You may have to get it serviced but all of the things you are saying sounds like not enough water.
also, could your hoses somehow have gotten a kink in them?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Hope you find one you like- I have used both top and front loader without major issues. I have also dyed fabric very successfully in my front loader, with Dylon dye formulated for that type of machine- works like a charm.

Whatever about the machines, I reckon that modern detergent is not as good as the old stuff. It's very hard to get actual stains (as opposed to just light soiling) out of anything without pre-treating, in my experience.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM

I have the LG HE - love it. I think my clothes are cleaner, and really like the fact that it uses less water. I use the high spin so the drying time is very short.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

I have an LG HE Top loading washer - I love being able to select water temperatures most of the time - It has been reliable - it replaced a front loader that I absolutely HATED! I can add forgotten items in the top loading machine, obviously couldn't do it in the front loading machine. The front loading machine always made my clothes smell - I leave the top open on my new one most of the time and don't have a problem with it smelling. I do miss being able to select a water level, but love that it doesn't have an agitator so I can wash larger bedding in it. I have had LG come out to do a recall repair, but other than that it has been nice to use.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 AM

We have a top loading HE machine and I really like it. It's quicker than the old machine, saves water, and measures the load to determine the water level. That being said, we live in the city, my husband works in an office and we have girls. We don't frequently have VERY dirty clothes. My brother, who works construction, lives in the country, and has boys who love to get really dirty does not like his new HE washer. He went back and purchased another old style washer for his work clothes and the boy's really dirty clothes.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1
. I think that if I could, I would buy an old wringer style.
You would not want an old wringer. This may date me , but my mom had one, and it was a lot of work. But at that time, it was considered wonderful because the clothes did not have to be wrung out by hand. My little brother was fooling around in the basement one day and was playing with the wringer. He had his arm caught between the rollers all the way up to his armpit. It was painful for him and bloody. Glad I wasn't there....
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 AM

Now I'm impressed oksewglad. Your cows have their own washing machine! :-)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 AM

I have a new Sanyo front loader and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine. I use less detergent, less water and my laundry come out cleaner than with my old top loader.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 AM

We bought top of line LG front load and I hate, hate, hate it! Have I said how much I hate it? It STINKS! I leave the door open, use the tablets, etc. I have injured my fingers trying to get the disgusting gunk out between the seal and rim, I have to use the "more water" button on every load or the clothes don't smell good so not saving water....I could go on and on....don't waste your money. I will NEVER buy a front loader again.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
I've had a Kenmore HE washer for about 6 years and love it. It uses less detergent, less water, less energy, etc. I think the clothes get cleaner. I can stop it and add things to it after it's running. Mine has never had a bad smell but I leave the door open a crack when it's not being used. I read somewhere that they are not as rough on the clothes (or quilts) as the ones that agitate.
I guess we all just have our opinions.
I'm not as happy with my Kenmore HE front load machine as you are. I really don't like the routine maintenance involved with front loaders. I hate having to clean out the nasty gunk that accumulates in the door seal. I don't think it uses enough water to rinse out the detergent thoroughly. My towels never feel good, even when I use softener. I hate not being able to see through the door to see the water level. It takes forever to complete a cycle. And it has an unpleasant smell most of the time. This was the #1 recommended machine on Consumer Reports when I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. I have been disappointed.