High School Reunion

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM

I didn't want to go to my first HS reunion (10 years) but my girlfriend came all the way from Canada to go so I grabbed another girlfriend and the 3 of us went together.

I didn't want to go to the second HS reunion (20 years) but my girlfriend again came all the way from Canada to go so I grabbed that other girlfriend and we went once again.

Since then there's been no more reunions. Thank goodness!

However, my DH never went to his reunions until the 30th rolled around and I convinced him to go, we had a blast, they've had one one every 5 years since and we've attended them all, really looking forward to the next one which is next year, don't know why his are so much more appealing than mine - go figure!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Best laugh I've had in yrs !!!!! :) :lol: :D :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
We went to DH's 50th in 1991. We'd been married about 23 years at that time and for all those years I'd heard now and then about his lovely high school girlfriend that he did not marry. I was really wanting to see this beauty. So here we were, all dolled up for pictures in our party clothes, and he started looking around to see if he could see her. Everyone he met claimed that they recognized everyone else immediately, but I noticed that they all looked carefully at the name badge first, which had their enlarged year book picture hanging from it!!! Then someone told DH that his old flame was standing at the bar. DH started briskly over there but suddenly wheeled around and led me firmly across the room to the very end table in that huge place. When he was talking to someone else, I asked a nice man where was ole whatsherface, and he was tickled to point her out to me. She was being held up by the bar, blowing smoke in the face of the bartender in spite of signs forbidding smoking, and she had obviously sat in something a far different color than her dress, which was too short in back and too long in front. And she looked like she'd been rode hard and put away wet.
DH never, ever mentioned her again in the rest of his life.

Reunions CAN be fun, it all depends.....on who's there!!
:lol: :D :thumbup:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM

I have no interest in seeing the people that had no time for me in hs. I went once and was bored to death, I sat with spouses of my classmates. There were about 500 of us and they cant get more than 25 or so interested. I think it says something about the class as a whole.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Love the story R Byrd. I'm aware that we have to be careful what we wish for!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM

I must say that the reunion was much better than I expected. Yea!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM

I went by train from FL to PA for my 50th class reunion. This was the only one I attended as our military moving life was not always so we could go. There was a full weekend of snacks for Fri night, Golf for anyone interested on Sat am, dinner dance on Sat night and then breakfast on Sunday morning. Everyone was happy to see each other, we were beyond what type of job do you have as to what kind of money you were making. Only saw one person with a cane, we talked about senior life styles, grandchildren and do you remembers. I had started a monthly email newsletter several years before. Then I requested a photo from each one who was on email. When I received them I made a house for each person with their high school photo in the left window and the new one in the right window. I put a group photo, picture of the high school, tacked on school and other little things here and there on the quilt. Took it with me to the reunion and everyone love it. We turned it over and they all wrote notes on the back. It was a big hit. When the 55th reunion came up I sent it up so they could enjoy it again and more wrote on it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231715.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM

went to the 5 year, 10 year, 15 year--quickly realized that some classmates were growing, some weren't. at twenty, my "best friend" finally showed up, and she couldn't remember which was my nickname, and which was hers. never could convince my best buddy, michael, to ever come to one. when it got to the point where the guys who wouldn't give me the time of day in h.s. were hitting on me at the 20th, i quit going. i decided that life was too short to be spent trying to impress people i didn't really care about. this year should be our 45th. i'm voting to stay home, put my feet up, and enjoy a saturday night with the usual pizza night gang of kids. they are much more fun than a bunch of old codgers my age!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Meh! I went to the 20th and the 25th. Didn't like most of those people in high school, why would I want to hang with them now. All the good people I see when I want to, not every 5 years.
This.

Plus its a long ways from where I live, so I just don't think its worth the $$ to go.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Never had the desire or the need. I still see and talk with the people I was friends with. I don't much care to find out what happened to the rest since they weren't too concerned about me when I was there. I am very happy where I am at and am proud of what I've accomplished; I don't feel a need to share any of that with people I really don't even know.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM

this quilt is fantastic! i wish there were more than one or two people from my class that might have been interested in something like that!! this is lovely, and will be a treasure.

Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar
I went by train from FL to PA for my 50th class reunion. This was the only one I attended as our military moving life was not always so we could go. There was a full weekend of snacks for Fri night, Golf for anyone interested on Sat am, dinner dance on Sat night and then breakfast on Sunday morning. Everyone was happy to see each other, we were beyond what type of job do you have as to what kind of money you were making. Only saw one person with a cane, we talked about senior life styles, grandchildren and do you remembers. I had started a monthly email newsletter several years before. Then I requested a photo from each one who was on email. When I received them I made a house for each person with their high school photo in the left window and the new one in the right window. I put a group photo, picture of the high school, tacked on school and other little things here and there on the quilt. Took it with me to the reunion and everyone love it. We turned it over and they all wrote notes on the back. It was a big hit. When the 55th reunion came up I sent it up so they could enjoy it again and more wrote on it.