Home phones

Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I'm not sure what part you are talking about. You have your basic service and x amount of jacks in your house. Here you aren't charged for the number of phones you use in your house just to have additional jacks installed if you need them. all of the phones I was talking about would be covered under your basic service. If you have the ones that have a base phone plus extra extensions you don't pay extra for them. They all plug into an electrical wall outlet and the extenstions pick up the signal from the main phone that is plugged into a jack. Like I have one main phone that is electric and it came with 4 extensions but I only need one phone jack to use it.

But yes, you have a basic fee and it increases depending on how many services you have added to it. For just service with no additional services like voice mail, caller id or forwarding you can pay around 20 a month. To me that's worth it.
I thought you were talking about it being free since a lot of posters are trying to cut costs. I know our true landline costs a monthly fee and we have jacks to plug in traditional phones. We also have cordless phones as you described that use electricity and therefore don't work during a power outage.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mary r View Post
We keep our land line because there are very few cell towers up here and the land line can always get through. I agree with what the previous people say about getting help and they know where your at.
Many areas in alaska do not have cell service still, the last numbers that i saw when working in public safety were 50% coverage. Many areas do not have phone service of any kind and use ham radio. 911 on cell phones can pinpoint your location if there are enough towers to triangulate, which for us here is a problem as sometimes there is only a single tower. There are pros and cons for both. Do your research before making the change.