Home Security Systems

Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 AM

We have had ADT for 17 years and I would recommend it without reservations. Since I have always had a cat (and always will) we did not install motion detectors. Ask them about a 'glass break'. Our two sheds (his and hers) are also armed and the siren is in one of the sheds. If you don't arm every entry - both windows and doors - there's no sense putting in a system. Also, if you have a doggie door make sure it's the kind with a rigid panel and lock that you can put over the flap when you arm the system. The bell is set to 'on' so it chimes everytime a door or window is opened.
Keep in mind that if you live in a rural area you have to consider the system a deterrent to scare and chase off intruders. We are rural and they'd be long gone by the time the sheriff arrived. The point is, they'd be gone before they could do any damage. This is the reason the siren is in the shed so it can be heard by everyone around.
Last year my husbands van was burglarized during a loud storm in the middle of the night. It was locked and parked only 6' from the house. We now have a gate across the driveway and lock it at night. The other gate is always locked. Nice areas are always more desirable targets than lesser well-kept neighborhoods.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 AM

we have one through a private company--it covers the doors, the sheds outside, no motion detectors (cat!) but it covers windows/breaking glass. the only time we'e had problems is when we have forgotten to turn it off before we tried to leave the house (duh!) or when the winds were high, and rattled the shed doors too hard. it took a little adjustment time for us, and some tweaking by the installer, but it seems to be "right", now--and hubby, who has parkinson's, feels safer. so do i. the response time via phone has always been super quick (ask me how i know--and if i remembered to turn off the alarm!) and the police dispatch for checking on us has been super fast, too.

it is worth the peace of mind, at least for us.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

I've had ADT for years and never a problem. I upgraded to the offer where they contact u via talking over keypad instead of calling which is nice. It also has emergency buttons for fire, medical and police. If you push those they immediately dispatch without the delay in contacting you. They even have motion detectors that ignore our 2 cats. It costs an extra $99 to install but they also monitor us with smoke detectors.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 AM

we use ADT and they are great.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM

I have had ADT for years. They were very responsive when I mistakenly set off the alarm and I have never had a problem with the system.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 AM

We have ADT - got it on a promotional...no charge for the installation---.

Love it, since we can set it for both "Away" and "Stay".
(Away = full alarm set - motion detectors, etc.
Stay = motion detectors off so we can move about indoors.)

I especially like the fact that we are also armed for fire, which I feel is important since if one is away from home, a fire can destroy a great deal before it's noticable on the outside.

There are many services out there, so do check them all out to see which fits your needs best.

You might also consider asking the Police Department if they have experienced problems with any of the systems.

Love the "Panic" feature...it obviously works as a very well known business owner was involved in a home invasion robbery and she told the intruders she had to "disarm the system since she had just come into her garage" and in reality had punched in the emergency code which dispatched the police immediately...catching the invaders without any harm to her.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM

We have ADT also. We had another company before that but found out that the alarm could be disarmed if a thief cut the phone line on the outside of the house. We changed to ADT because they use a wireless phone system. This help eliminate the need for a land line phone. We also had all doors and windows covered because the alarm system was installed when the house was built. Have 2 motion detectors. These were set for a small dog. Sorry to hear that you have to do this but it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Another thing you can get is cameras around the house, inside and out. My son has them and the camera on the side of his house got pictures of the men and their trucks robbing the neighors house. When he is away, he can see what is going on at his house. I also like alarms, they deter most robberies from happening.

You can get different packages. You can have all your windows rigged, doors, motion detectors, and we had something under the carpet in fron of the steps. If you stepped on it, it set the alarm off.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM

wow, must be a bad time for all as I was broken into also and alot of my sewing projects that were done was taken along with linens and cloth napkins
Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 AM

We were also advised to consider alarming the attic door, as sometimes people will break in through the roof and come in the attic door. We did not do that, though. Hope we don't regret it someday!