Home Security Systems

Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

A big chop eater (dog). Our big fellow won't let anyone get by our front gate. An insurance survey done here recently said a dog was still the best deterrent...the criminals usually go for houses that are an easier mark.

Maybe your insurance company could recommend someone, ours actually has their own security service.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

We just recently like within the last 6 months got a security system with Vivint.
I think it is worth it. I have been happy with them. They installed everything and gave us all the gear for nothing...we signed a two year contract. All doors and windows have sensors, they also gave us a case of energy saving light bulbs, the electronic control panel, a camera, the automatic door lock thingy, and an electronic thermostat. We have an app on our I-phones to access the control panel, door locks and thermostat from out phones. We can also view the camera footage from our phones and control the movement of our camera from any computer or the app on our phone. Anytime a window opens or door a text is sent to my phone...so I will know if my kids try to sneak out and night or anything. If I turn off the heat while we are gone I can turn it back on before we come home so the house is warm when we get here.....It is AWESOME!

Of course we also have a Yellow lab and a big English Mastiff.....so those don't hurt either!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM

I have an alarm that isn't monitored, but will scream bloody murder. I also have my avatar-and the 2 attack cats too! Oh wait, 2 teenage boys-who wants to even walk into a house with those...and an ex-cop husband with a really, really big gun collection. I might be feeling my oats, but I'm sleeping well tonight!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM

I have a 90 lb. black lab that I feel kept our house safe even though we were away too. My cousin and DS were taking turns coming by and tending to the animals. If an alarm is yet another level of deterrent, I guess we'll go that route. I have heard that just having the signs is deterrent enough, without actually having the monitoring. I just don't know of a single company that will just sell you a sign!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 AM

My DH owns a low voltage systems company and has installed many security systems all over the Atlanta area and surrounding counties. A complete system should have all ground-level doors and windows wired and monitored, there should be motion detectors, glass breaks and smoke alarms as well. Make sure you read the fine print on your contract. What looks like a good deal (such as $99)may only be a starting price and may not protect all entry points. Sales pitches can be very confusing and misleading. The big companies use professional salespeople to get you to sign up. The central monitoring station that actually calls in to the fire and police authorities should be local or at the very least in the USA (if this is where you live) and should have a proven track record of successful notifications and communication. Most home insurance companies offer a discount if you have a system which is monitored and a reputable company will give you an insurance certificate to submit. The most important thing to remember is to use your system. Make sure you arm it whenever you want to secure your home whether you are inside or away. Also get into the habit of disarming it properly. Many communities now charge for false alarms. If you are in the Atlanta, GA area and want more information or a system installed please PM me. DH gives me a great commission and I can buy more fabric :)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 AM

I would do doors and windows. My friend had just motion detectors and they just came thru the bedroom window, the motion detectors covered the doors and the main house and hall, bedrooms were free game, which was where they stored all their expensive antiques!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 AM

I always figured that by the time the cops or anyone got there the person would be gone. I don't need to spend $? a month to know someone has been there. When I lived with my DD we had 2 big dogs who scared everyone in the neighborhood. And would growl and bark their heads off if anyone came to the door,in the yard or walked down the street. We didn't tell anyone they were just noisy and pretty big chickens. lol I miss her dogs. My brother has an alarm system and I am always afaid of not getting to the pad in time to turn it off. Stresses me out. I really hate the way things have gone. His is ADT and he seems happy with it.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

We have Protection One and I have an app on my iPhone so we can set it, unset it, and see if anything happens while we are away. the system is monitored. It is just one level of being safe. The times we've set the thing off by accident, they do call us right away to check on us. And now it is some kind of set up that if someone outside cut the electricity, it would still work. We had a German Shepherd for 13 years and I always felt very safe with him there, although he loved everyone who came in. We never tested him on what he would do if someone strange came without us inviting them!! But just the sight of him would send anyone coming to the door to sell something backing away!!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM

I had experience with 2 companies. I sure wish I could remember their names. BUT, here's the deal. Once had a fire, pressed the "FIRE" button, alarms went off. No fire dept. came. I used a neighbor's cell phone and called the fire dept. When we asked the security company later why they didn't send the fire dept they said they'd TRIED to call us. Well, apparently they call to double check. NOPE -- can't do that if the fire burns the phone lines!!! They chewed me out for calling the fire dept!!! Had I waited my whole house would have burned down.

My other experience is with the company that has a "microphone" (for lack of a better thing to call it). If the alarm went off they'd call out over the mike asking if I needed help -- yes - that's the one I liked. No phone call back to me.

My folks had a system that beeped every time the door was open. Well, we noticed after a while that not only was that irritating, but after a length of time we got to where we ignored it totally!!!! That's no help! It beeped every time - whether the system was "activated or not".

good luck!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 AM

The only problem we had with motion detectors is that our cats whom like to crawl on everything would set them off