Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit! >
  • Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit!

• Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM

congratulations i am so proud of you :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
    Dee

Congratulations! My DH and I quit 4/27/07.
    Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM

Awesome! Congratulations!

I just needed someone to believe in me - and tell me that I could do it. And I did - I am now 15 years free from of that monkey!
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Congrats to all of you that are smoke free! That's so awesome...
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
    Congratulations! I had my 1 yr anniversary as a non smoker in November. I smoked for 35 years and still can't believe that I did it. My DH and I both quit on the same day, we didn't plan it just woke up one morning and I said to him I want to quit smoking he we both agreed why wait, and we just did it and never looked back. I love being free from that horible addiction!
    This is pretty much how things went in our house. We both quit on the same day and without much discussion as we both knew all the reasons. We did set a date about a week in advance and spent the week researching for tips that would help.

N.O.P.E - Not One Puff Ever is a great method. I said a small prayer when I had a craving and it would dissipate in a couple of minutes. (It would have gone away if I hadn't prayed, but it was so nice to have such great support. LOL)

So now it was a year for both of us in February, and I'd have to say that it was one of the best things I ever did.

Nancy
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Congratulations. I am proud of you.
    Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    Just wanted you all to join in celebrating with me! :D
    Tomorrow, March 9th, marks ONE YEAR since I had my last puff!! I honestly can NOT believe I made it a year. I told myself that after one year, I woud begin calling myself a "non smoker" instead of saying "I'm quitting smoking".
    It was not a great year to stop given that I lost my DF in July and my DM in December but the good thing is, I figure if I can make it through the first year with all that happening, then I have it beat!
    So for those of you who are wanting to quit, don't give up! I quit several times and always started back after a few weeks. Just keep on trying! :D

Absolutely fantastic, CONGRATULATIONS to you and a great big (((HUG))). So proud of you. So sorry to hear about your family losses. Sorry to say I haven't stopped this bad habit yet, but I've been telling myself lately how much I really need to and have really had some serious thinking about it. For all of you non smokers, quitting is much easier said than ever done. If you've never had any experience with anyone close that smokes, you have no idea.Not to be tacky to anyone, just letting you know how it is.
    Old 03-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Proud You!
    Old 03-11-2011, 03:28 AM

Congratulations from another former smoker!!
    Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    My way of making it work was to treat it like alcoholics treat alcohol....you can NOT have a SINGLE drink. I had to admit that I was really addicted to cigarettes and that I would NEVER be able to touch them again. I used alot of mental stuff like the months before I quit, every time I would light up I'd think of how that horrible stuff was sticking to my lungs, etc. What had killed my progress in previous attempts was the whole "well I'm gonna let myself smoke just this week while on vacation at the beach" or "while out celebrating this one night", etc. It honestly did come down to a "just say no" thing.
    Now....if I can "just say no" to the snacking! LOL :D Wish me luck! :D
    I am VERY happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear ya! I make every holiday, party, trip a reason that I can't quit just yet! I am trying to quit now. I have been thinking about what it is doing to me, how awful I smell to non-smokers (which is just about everyone I know), etc. So I am gearing up...but I still not there. Although I do have a bag of "dum, dum suckers" in the drawer waiting for me to use for the "hand to mouth" thing. I don't think I'll gain weight though -- I'm on medicine for my siezures that takes my appetite away. So I don't even think about food! That's not a good thing though either.