Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hot Flash RX

Blog Entries
    I probably would be much less sane than I am if not for HRT. When you have 50-60 a day you'll do whatever works. Plus I was only 41 when it started. You will become an expert at slipping one leg out from under the covers and then and then back out, etc. Try all the suggestions given one at a time until you find one that works for you and good luck. Glenda

Blog Entries
    Because of a family history of osteoporosis, I chose not to go on HRT. What helped for me was ginseng. I tried making straight ginseng tea but didn't enjoy it much. So instead I added one ginseng bag to every pot of tea I made. Also, I found my nights were plagued with hot hands and feet. So before bed I filled the bathroom sink with ice water - what a blessing for my hands in the middles of the night!!
    Good luck with whatever you try.

Quote Originally Posted by agoldencomet
    Because of a family history of osteoporosis, I chose not to go on HRT. What helped for me was ginseng. I tried making straight ginseng tea but didn't enjoy it much. So instead I added one ginseng bag to every pot of tea I made. Also, I found my nights were plagued with hot hands and feet. So before bed I filled the bathroom sink with ice water - what a blessing for my hands in the middles of the night!!
    I'm curious if you've had a bone density test before and after the ginseng to see if it helps your bones. I understood that the HRT helped with bone density/osteoporosis. I was on the estrogen patch, then got breast cancer, off everything, so am taking Estroven Nighttime which helps me sleep and helps with the flashes. Also, I'm advised to stay off of soy since it has "estrogenic" properties. I'm not advocating any of this for anyone, just sharing my story.

Sleep on a beach towel to absorb the fluids from the night sweats. Was wringing out my nightie during the night. I can't take estrogen as I had breast cancer that grew due to estrogen.
    You can get through it without hormones if you decide to. Not easy, not fun. Sorry we ladies have to go through this. One of life's many little jokes.

Had everything out at 34, had to be on HRT for years everyday....now low dose and every other day, tried to get
    off but miserable, hope to one day...I am 70..boo hoo

Blog Entries
    agoldencomet wrote:

Stitchnripper wrote:
    I'm curious if you've had a bone density test before and after the ginseng to see if it helps your bones. I understood that the HRT helped with bone density/osteoporosis. I was on the estrogen patch, then got breast cancer, off everything, so am taking Estroven Nighttime which helps me sleep and helps with the flashes. Also, I'm advised to stay off of soy since it has "estrogenic" properties. I'm not advocating any of this for anyone, just sharing my story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, so sorry! I meant to say that I did not go on HRT because of a family hstory of cardiovascular disease (a risk of HRT). The ginseng was to minimize the hot flashes. As for the osteopenia (which I have), I take calcium, Vitamin D and magnesium supplements. My done density is remaining constant now; so the supplements are helping.
    Now I just need something to help my memory LOL!!

Black Cohosh worked for me.

Blog Entries
    Sabre Sciences Hot Flash Free Extra- Strength Menopause Formula Natural Progesterone Cream
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sab...846076-product
    i've tried everything but finally ended up with this-works for me. i had hot flashes well over 10 years, then they went away, but now are back!
    they dont' usually carry this in the store but can get it for you. saves shipping.

When I started to have hot flashes I searched a lot of websites for "cures". The one thing I found is that there is no cure. I did find one website that had to have been written by a man. It said to ride your hot flash like a wave. Just lean back and enjoy it. If I could have gotten ahold of the author I would have thrown him in a furnace and told him to enjoy it.

staying away from caffiene, processed sugar, and red meat seems to help me quite a bit

I hate to tell you this, but I just turned 80 and the hot flashes are still tormenting me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GwynR
    I ovulate from both sides every month
    Wow! Do you have sets of twins?

I have a petite friend who gave birth to 2 sets of twins, none identical. Was afraid to get pregnant again! Twins run in her family - I wonder if this is why?

Quote Originally Posted by agoldencomet
    agoldencomet wrote:

Stitchnripper wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, so sorry! I meant to say that I did not go on HRT because of a family hstory of cardiovascular disease (a risk of HRT). The ginseng was to minimize the hot flashes. As for the osteopenia (which I have), I take calcium, Vitamin D and magnesium supplements. My done density is remaining constant now; so the supplements are helping.
    Now I just need something to help my memory LOL!!
    Now I get it! I'm also on calcium, Vitamin D, and magnesium and holding steady. I also do some strength training (I am not a body builder!!!) which is supposed to help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Nothing really works...but a ceiling fan for the night sweats is a bonus.
    I have fanned myself with the freezer door while my head was in the freezer....works, but you get very strange looks from family.
    yep< no what you mean, they laugh at me all the time.

Blog Entries
    I will have to try the some of these remedies. I am on my 4th year of having hot flashes and I think they are winning. We just moved to Texas and I am not happy with the hot temperature, hard to be when you feel 100 inside your head.
    I also have osteoporosis and am taking the extra calcium and multivitamin. By the way I was only 41 when I started, It has taken me awhile to not feel "old" since I was thinking this would not happen till I was at least 50. It felt like I had lots 10 years. Then when I found out that I had osteoporosis that was another blast to my mental health. I am finally coming to grips with all of this. I just look at some of the women God has placed in my life that are active and happy in there 70's and I think that I am acting older than they do. Trying to change all of that around.

I take Femhrt. I can sleep again and hubby and my students are happy I am back to my normal self again. I also helps when you realize that each hot flash is temporary. it will be over with after a shortq time.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    Sabre Sciences Hot Flash Free Extra- Strength Menopause Formula Natural Progesterone Cream
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sab...846076-product
    i've tried everything but finally ended up with this-works for me. i had hot flashes well over 10 years, then they went away, but now are back!
    they dont' usually carry this in the store but can get it for you. saves shipping.

:thumbup: I think I'll give this a try!

watch the chocolate, that does it for me every time I eat it. MMMM sounds like I should eat more not less!

Blog Entries
    Just time for me.........calla

Blog Entries
    Wellbutrin!

Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    When I started to have hot flashes I searched a lot of websites for "cures". The one thing I found is that there is no cure. I did find one website that had to have been written by a man. It said to ride your hot flash like a wave. Just lean back and enjoy it. If I could have gotten ahold of the author I would have thrown him in a furnace and told him to enjoy it.
    I would be willing to help you.

I have had them for years, always seems like I get chilled, cover up and that is when they hit, kick the covers off and cool down. A ceiling fan on helps a lot. Husband just covers up. Little Chihuahua get her crate covered with a towel, she freezes if cooler than 70. They are less and less, only lasting a few seconds. I just deal with them. I'm just glad to be 66, hot flashes and all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I did find one website that had to have been written by a man. It said to ride your hot flash like a wave. Just lean back and enjoy it. If I could have gotten ahold of the author I would have thrown him in a furnace and told him to enjoy it.
    This reminded me of when my mom started having hot flashes, and my dad told her to get over it. He would get so cranky when she'd throw the covers off, or crack open the window. He was very unsympathetic and rather mean about it, like it was something she could control. She finally just gave up trying to sleep in the same room with him. Then he got cancer, and his cancer treatments gave him hot flashes. THEN he decided that an air conditioner in the bedroom was an absolute necessity!

I take womens menopause one a day vitamins and Remifemin estrogen free. My hot flashes are rare now, plus my nite sweats are disappearing but I still have some mood swings. I just put my headphones on and sew. Life is good.

For me it was early menopause at 29. Finally gave in and went on HRT because I could not stand it any longer. Have been on HRT for 38 years now but still cannot get off of it totally. Gradually reduced dosage and taking a vegetable based HRT. I would love to be off the meds but will stay with them as long as necessary. And my DH would appreciate I would stay with it until/unless I HAVE to stop taking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast