Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Housework Blahs

I can't bring myself to spend hours every single day cleaning. You get it cleaned one day and in a day or two you have to do it all again, especially the floors. There is just my husband and I but he doesn't remove his shoes and since he is 70, it isn't worth the aggravation to retrain him. I just don't worry about it. Don't get me wrong, I do clean but I am not a "neatnik" I guess you could say. Our house is "lived in.".

Before I arrived from winter away I arranged for cleaning lady to do spring cleaning. I promised myself when that was allllllll done then I would set up sewing machine and NOT until then . For me it was worth every dollar to have the help. Even did the garage and it is such a freeing feeling. Extras went out at same time.
    Set machine up today because of the virtual sewing weekend but now much easier to do weekly cleaning myself.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I invite people over for dinner, so the main floor gets done. Now we want to put our house on the market again, so that means really deep cleaning each room and decluttering. I went through each room and made a list of what needs to be done in each one. I plan to do a room a day when I can, and not stress over it. For each room I'll set up a day, get organized, then reward myself, by sewing etc. when that room is done.
    gmaybee

I do the Flylady system (as best that I can). "You can do anything for 15 minutes."

I am another one who follows (mostly) the Fly Lady method. I don't spend all day cleaning but do have a daily routine. FLY stands for Finally Loving Yourself. The Fly Lady herself has an amazing story. Check out her website. I follow the Fly Lady Lite version so I am not bombarded with emails. Her products are wonderful too should you choose to get them. It certainly is not necessary. Free program established by someone who has been...and still is.... in our shoes as homemakers.

Bless you as you little by little get back control of your home.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    I really feel like a "failed grandmother". My 6yo DGD and I were in MY master bath which is used daily and doing our makeup and hair. She looked at me and said "Nana, why did you leave that big spider web hanging from your ceiling?" I said "there's no spider web"...so we argue about it for a minute or 2 and the sun streamed in the window and there was this long gossamer strand hanging from the ceiling, dangling down all the way to the tub. I should have just told her that was a "fairy rope" that I was using for decoration!!

I will blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL

Blog Entries
    I really feel like a "failed grandmother". My 6yo DGD and I were in MY master bath which is used daily and doing our makeup and hair. She looked at me and said "Nana, why did you leave that big spider web hanging from your ceiling?" I said "there's no spider web"...so we argue about it for a minute or 2 and the sun streamed in the window and there was this long gossamer strand hanging from the ceiling, dangling down all the way to the tub. I should have just told her that was a "fairy rope" that I was using for decoration!!

I WILL blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL

Blog Entries

I WILL blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how big your house is, mine is small. I use Swiffer and when I can find it, Endust. I got tired of having so many cleaning supplies I was running out room. I got down to basics. Regular dust mop and the Endust. My bathroom is 75% ceramic tile. To do it fast, I turn the shower on hot for a couple minutes, turn the shower off then spray all the tiles with those cleaning bubbles. Shut the for a couple more minutes. Then go in and wipe down fast. Bedroom and other rooms, I use those micro-fiber rags. I give myself a half hour for each room. I try to keep them picked up and I have dogs so I have to keep up with the dog hair. My reward is either a Snickers Ice Cream bar, heath bar or go to my girl friends house and have a conversation with her and the "Bailey's".

I call it deferred cleaning. For the most part, the house looks OK, but I know what hasn't been done in a while. Did my heavy cleaning in the kitchen today. Oven, refrigerator, microwave, vent screens, bar glasses, lemon oiled all the cabinets, cleaned out the toaster and toaster oven, scrubbed the tile floor, dusted the blinds, wiped down the counters and then I was too tired to cook dinner, so went out. Of course, I only managed to schedule this because I finished my latest quilt a couple of days ago. That's why I was so far behind.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

make a list of things that really bug you and a list that has to be done make a list then go quilt

Haven't read all the posts in this thread so I may be repeating someone....but have you checked out Flylady.net? She has a wonderful schedule for cleaning...plus lots of tips and motivations....
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

Banned
    I hate housework as much as the next person does, but it's one of those necessary evils that much be done. I used to be the type to procrastinate until it was just uninhabitable, but then it would take me even longer to do because I let it go as bad. Then I was introduced to the Fly Lady. She is incredible and has a no-nonsense, easy and wonderful way to keep your house clean by cleaning something every day. It may sound daunting, but honestly it isn't. Once you've done the deep cleaning to get everything back to where it should be, if you maintain everyday, it's a breeze. It literally takes me about 20 minutes every day to do my little list of maintenance and then I'm feeling great about my accomplishment, not guilty for sitting in my craft room for some me time and the house is presentable enough for any guest to drop by. OK, maybe not Mom's standards, but it's clean. I force myself to have all the dishes done everyday and go to bed with nothing in the sink unless it's clean and in the drying rack, I vacuum the whole house which takes about 10 minutes. (I have all hardwood floors and 4 dogs that shed something fierce), then I have my daily list of cleaning!

Her website is http://flylady.net/ and she is the bomb! Give her a real chance to get you where you need to be and you'll be glad that you did. Hope this helps some!

Blog Entries
    I totally understand....I love what my mom used to say..."make sure the kitchen and the bathrooms are clean and the rest of the house will take care of itself!" Seriously, I try to clean one day a week and I focus on one or two rooms..I wouldn't want anyone to come see me with white gloves for sure! I would hope they were coming to see me and not how well I clean! Right now my cat, Mr.Peach, is shedding and so I am having to run the vacuum cleaner almost daily. YUK!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I just read a lot of really good tips here. thanks to all. I found (on the www.alejandra.com site) a good way to start the decluttering process and I think I can keep up with that. She said you should take "30 min. every day" to pick up clutter and put it in it's place and eventually the clutter is under control. This is starting to work for me. The hard part was just decided "where" to start. ha ha (if you can't give 30 min. time each day, start with 15 min. or 20 min. and then it gets easier to do as you get used to it.)

Blog Entries
    I just read the whole thread!! I agree that taking it a bite at a time, and diligently staying at it every day, for a measured amount of time is really a great way to go. My big problem is the clutter that has collected here. With my ex, we used to move on average every four years, so that was my auto matic declutter machanism. Now I've been in this house with my current DH for 10 years, and my clutter has really caught up with me. I'm working on spending a little time on it each day. My son, across the country, has a similar problem with clutter, and we both agreed that using a music CD is one fun way to keep it upbeat and limited, so as not to be overwhelming. And when we get off track, we just forgive ourselves and start up again. I've been using this in the yard this spring too, cause there's so much to do there, and if I do it all at once, I wear myself out. My MP3 player is a blessing as to keeping me on track. Good luck to us all!! (And going to my quilt lair every day afterwards is my REWARD
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I like the one day/one room approach. Sometimes the mood just strikes me and I did in. Since I'm disabled I often have to hire someone to help me. My community is sponsoring a "clean-up" right after Memorial Day and they will pick up large items for resale or trash. Garage here I come!!

Sorry I gave up, I have a lovely lady that comes in to do the basic housework once a week, for an hour. When if needs a bit more I get her for 2 hours, problem solved

I do one room a day, and reward myself with extra quilting time

Blog Entries
    You could reward yourself with fabric after each cleaning. That should be incentive enough.

The Fly Lady has some wonderful tips about organizing cleaning chores for the home. Check her out.

It seems the only way I can get into cleaning is to invite company to our house. Then I feel it has to be done. Have never been one to regularly clean as some do. Usually wait until it starts to bother me, or if it is somewhere I never venture, I just forget about it (like my husband's bathroom.) I would much rather be sewing, reading, gardening or swimming than cleaning.
    Kitsy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2