Housework Blahs

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM

I really feel like a "failed grandmother". My 6yo DGD and I were in MY master bath which is used daily and doing our makeup and hair. She looked at me and said "Nana, why did you leave that big spider web hanging from your ceiling?" I said "there's no spider web"...so we argue about it for a minute or 2 and the sun streamed in the window and there was this long gossamer strand hanging from the ceiling, dangling down all the way to the tub. I should have just told her that was a "fairy rope" that I was using for decoration!!

I will blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM

I really feel like a "failed grandmother". My 6yo DGD and I were in MY master bath which is used daily and doing our makeup and hair. She looked at me and said "Nana, why did you leave that big spider web hanging from your ceiling?" I said "there's no spider web"...so we argue about it for a minute or 2 and the sun streamed in the window and there was this long gossamer strand hanging from the ceiling, dangling down all the way to the tub. I should have just told her that was a "fairy rope" that I was using for decoration!!

I WILL blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM

I WILL blame it on the fact that I've had eye issues for the last couple of months!! LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how big your house is, mine is small. I use Swiffer and when I can find it, Endust. I got tired of having so many cleaning supplies I was running out room. I got down to basics. Regular dust mop and the Endust. My bathroom is 75% ceramic tile. To do it fast, I turn the shower on hot for a couple minutes, turn the shower off then spray all the tiles with those cleaning bubbles. Shut the for a couple more minutes. Then go in and wipe down fast. Bedroom and other rooms, I use those micro-fiber rags. I give myself a half hour for each room. I try to keep them picked up and I have dogs so I have to keep up with the dog hair. My reward is either a Snickers Ice Cream bar, heath bar or go to my girl friends house and have a conversation with her and the "Bailey's".
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM

I call it deferred cleaning. For the most part, the house looks OK, but I know what hasn't been done in a while. Did my heavy cleaning in the kitchen today. Oven, refrigerator, microwave, vent screens, bar glasses, lemon oiled all the cabinets, cleaned out the toaster and toaster oven, scrubbed the tile floor, dusted the blinds, wiped down the counters and then I was too tired to cook dinner, so went out. Of course, I only managed to schedule this because I finished my latest quilt a couple of days ago. That's why I was so far behind.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM

make a list of things that really bug you and a list that has to be done make a list then go quilt
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 AM

Haven't read all the posts in this thread so I may be repeating someone....but have you checked out Flylady.net? She has a wonderful schedule for cleaning...plus lots of tips and motivations....
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Banned

I hate housework as much as the next person does, but it's one of those necessary evils that much be done. I used to be the type to procrastinate until it was just uninhabitable, but then it would take me even longer to do because I let it go as bad. Then I was introduced to the Fly Lady. She is incredible and has a no-nonsense, easy and wonderful way to keep your house clean by cleaning something every day. It may sound daunting, but honestly it isn't. Once you've done the deep cleaning to get everything back to where it should be, if you maintain everyday, it's a breeze. It literally takes me about 20 minutes every day to do my little list of maintenance and then I'm feeling great about my accomplishment, not guilty for sitting in my craft room for some me time and the house is presentable enough for any guest to drop by. OK, maybe not Mom's standards, but it's clean. I force myself to have all the dishes done everyday and go to bed with nothing in the sink unless it's clean and in the drying rack, I vacuum the whole house which takes about 10 minutes. (I have all hardwood floors and 4 dogs that shed something fierce), then I have my daily list of cleaning!

Her website is http://flylady.net/ and she is the bomb! Give her a real chance to get you where you need to be and you'll be glad that you did. Hope this helps some!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM

I totally understand....I love what my mom used to say..."make sure the kitchen and the bathrooms are clean and the rest of the house will take care of itself!" Seriously, I try to clean one day a week and I focus on one or two rooms..I wouldn't want anyone to come see me with white gloves for sure! I would hope they were coming to see me and not how well I clean! Right now my cat, Mr.Peach, is shedding and so I am having to run the vacuum cleaner almost daily. YUK!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 AM

I just read a lot of really good tips here. thanks to all. I found (on the www.alejandra.com site) a good way to start the decluttering process and I think I can keep up with that. She said you should take "30 min. every day" to pick up clutter and put it in it's place and eventually the clutter is under control. This is starting to work for me. The hard part was just decided "where" to start. ha ha (if you can't give 30 min. time each day, start with 15 min. or 20 min. and then it gets easier to do as you get used to it.)