How did we ever survive?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Okay, all this reminiscing about the "good old days" is fine, and I DO remember the b&w TV and all the funny old things right down to the skate key....BUT....I wouldn't ever go back because I'd have to give up my rotary cutter for scissors!!!! No way is THAT happening!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
Okay, all this reminiscing about the "good old days" is fine, and I DO remember the b&w TV and all the funny old things right down to the skate key....BUT....I wouldn't ever go back because I'd have to give up my rotary cutter for scissors!!!! No way is THAT happening!!!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM

when i was a kid I had a paper route, rain or shine, I was out there delivering papers and "collecting" on thursdays. Today, I don't even get the paper - but when i did, it was delivered by some nameless adult driving a car
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM

:P HI, well I was a teenager in the 50's. I loved the 50's. Music was the greatest!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
kbs

I remember.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Ida

Oh what memories. I grew up in early fifties. Remember the car hops? I was one of them. I remember listening to the radio to Intersanctum, and listening to the "fights" with my dad. We rode our bikes all over town, and walked thirty blocks carrying our bowling balls to the bowling alley. My hair was long, to my waist, and I dried it in front of the oven! The gym outfits were horrendous; especially since I had skinny legs. Oh by the way, I did get a paddling from the principal. I stuck my tongue out at the principal!! Thanks Chasing Hawk for helping us to remember.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ida
Oh what memories. I grew up in early fifties. Remember the car hops? I was one of them. I remember listening to the radio to Intersanctum, and listening to the "fights" with my dad. We rode our bikes all over town, and walked thirty blocks carrying our bowling balls to the bowling alley. My hair was long, to my waist, and I dried it in front of the oven! The gym outfits were horrendous; especially since I had skinny legs. Oh by the way, I did get a paddling from the principal. I stuck my tongue out at the principal!! Thanks Chasing Hawk for helping us to remember.
I got "threatened" with that dreaded paddle....lol

I can't remember what I did, but I am sure I was the one who caused the mischief.....haha
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM

I just remember bits and pieces, rural but later, hunting frogs & polywoggs, down from the house, in a slu, swimming in an irrigation ditch, Mom & Dad taking care of the problem!! Visiting relatives back east, 7 in a car, what was a car seat, that thing that hung over the seat so the baby would be sure to fly out, Mom's hand wacking you right in the middle of the chest, once in a while if we needed to stop fast. (seat belt) Relatives phone , just dialing 4 numbers, but listen first to see if the lines clear.
Riding the bike w/the wagon attached and not turning fast enough, so who ever was riding ended up catching the bumper of the car (in the head) yes that was an accident!! Just playing outside, with whatever was around. Getting dusted off with the broom before coming in.
1 - 2 toys at Christmas tops, no long lists of pricey items. Grandma's on Sundays. Food out of a canning jar, the day the adults dressed 50 pullets yuk !! (could have survived without that one) LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
I just remember bits and pieces, rural but later, hunting frogs & polywoggs, down from the house, in a slu, swimming in an irrigation ditch, Mom & Dad taking care of the problem!! Visiting relatives back east, 7 in a car, what was a car seat, that thing that hung over the seat so the baby would be sure to fly out, Mom's hand wacking you right in the middle of the chest, once in a while if we needed to stop fast. (seat belt) Relatives phone , just dialing 4 numbers, but listen first to see if the lines clear.
Riding the bike w/the wagon attached and not turning fast enough, so who ever was riding ended up catching the bumper of the car (in the head) yes that was an accident!! Just playing outside, with whatever was around. Getting dusted off with the broom before coming in.
1 - 2 toys at Christmas tops, no long lists of pricey items. Grandma's on Sundays. Food out of a canning jar, the day the adults dressed 50 pullets yuk !! (could have survived without that one) LOL
I remember playing outside all day when I wasn't in school. We slept with the front door unlocked. My Dad and his friend would go out "froggin" Friday night. And on Saturday we had frog legs for supper. Or we would all pile in the car and go to the beach. Dad would fish from the pier and later that day we had fresh fish for dinner.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Well said. My kids ate so much dirt I can't believe they survived!! Now, the kids hardly get their hands dirty!!