How did we ever survive?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.
It was before my time, and apparently the author's as well, but polio shut everything down.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM

I remember all that and one more rule we had, if you got in trouble at school, expect double trouble at home! We respected our teachers!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I remember and long for these days again.... :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Me too!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Not only did we not have cell phones, but we had a party line. You had to actually WAIT to place a phone call unless it was an emergency. If it were one, you did a lot of please and thank yous, and everyone on the street was at your house to help you because they all shared the line and knew you.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I remember all of those..
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm 33 and my best friend's children, I'm sure, feel like they are taking a trip back in time when they come to my house and cannot pause live TV! Lol. I hardly ever turn it on, so haven't needed a DVR. They also think it's a novelty to listen to the radio in my car because I don't have DVD players for them to watch in my back seat!

Ah, the party line. I remember visiting my grandmother and getting in trouble because I was fascinated with the listening to the voices when I picked up her phone!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

And we wonder why I am Lostn51!!!

Even at 44 I remember a lot of those things and honestly if I could go back to those day I would. Now I do run my home like it was back then and always have. My wife was born in '53 and she remembers a lot of those things when she was growing up in the country. All of our kids friends say that when your over here its like you step onto the set of "Leave it to Beaver" or "My Three Sons" I guess that is why they are always here hanging out with us.... :roll: :lol: But I have a very large "Extended Family" because of it!

In fact my Daughter is down at LSU right now but two of her buddies and their boyfriends are here watching the Colts game with my wife and I. So I still have kids coming over for dinner and different things through out the week even though my daughter is 500 miles away. :-D

Billy
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM

[quote=
In those days I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

[/quote]

This one really get's me these days. What's with all the 16year old's calling themselves "diva's". Just because mom and dad have money and have given the kids everything they want.

Bring back the good old days. I would love to go back to the more simple times.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.
It was before my time, and apparently the author's as well, but polio shut everything down.
I'm 48 and remember it well. When something is before your time, you really don't understand. Polio did NOT shut everything down (were you watching the Walton's on TV?). We were vaccinated. They lined everyone up in schools. Most of us also had smallpox vaccinations, were tested for TB, etc.

Oh yeah, party-line telephones (my MIL was still on a party-line into the early 1990's), only 3 TV stations, imaginative playing outside... the list goes on. Some pro some con.