How did we ever survive?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM

I remember all and liked the clean TV shows when comedy was really comedy. When we didn't lock our doors and the windows were up in the house with a cool breeze in the summer time yeah we could trust our neighbors. Everybody was your friend and cousins were like brothers and sisters. I'm still close to my cousins and wouldn't trade my life for anything. Very good memories.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

AAAhhhhh yes. The stream out back, the barn and the mountain behind the house. Oh the possiblilities these all offered.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM

We didn't need expensive toys to entertain us. We'd dig holes in the dirt to play marbles, gather all the cousins and neighbors to play Red Rover, capture fire flies in jars with holes in the lid, ride our bikes ALL over town without fear of strangers, play explorer in the stand of scrub trees and brush at the edge of town. We were still innocent when we became teenagers...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM

I remember those days well. I grew up in a town with a population of about 1200. What fond memories and a wonderful childhood free of most of the issues and worries of today.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Amen,Sister! When you got into trouble anywhere it was doubled up at home and no "My child wouldn't do that!"
Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 PM

I'm sorry if someone already said this and I don't mean to repeat...but TV test patterns when programming ended for the evening?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM

What absolutely wonderful memories!!!! I tended the garden, picking beans, tomatoes, green peppers, digging potatoes, canning all the above. I hung out laundry, including my brothers diapers, in 110 in the summer and letting them freeze dry in the winter. I had roller skates that fit onto my shoes, and a roller skate key that hung on a string around my neck. We rode our bicycles till the street lights came on, and growing up in a neighborhood of boys, having four brothers and being the oldest girl and only girl, I wouldn't have changed a thing in all my years. Many great memories!! :D :lol: I loved it all :thumbup: Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!! :D
Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Good memories - playing outside all day in the Summer, making my first costumes - hand-stitched clothes for Troll dolls. But, just gotta say - the other day, I came home from doing errands, to find that my 11 yo son had taken blankets and quilts and the dining room chairs, and made a tent in the Living Room so that he could read his new favorite book all day (Yesss!)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Life certainly seemed much simpler in those days. Most everyone in our little town went to at least one of the three churches on Sunday. Those that didn't attend at least one of the churches were few in number. I recall everything closed up on Sunday and you couldn't buy anything.

I attended a 50th birthday party Sunday for a good friend.
It was held at the senior citizens center. While there I noticed a plaque on the wall that mentioned some of the first donors to give money to get it built. They are all gone now, and I wondered how many were still around that remembered or knew any of those fine folks that used to be...that made it all possible for the building to be built.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
Slept on empty orange juice cans used as hair rollers....

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
I still LOVE black & white TV
wow...your life was the same as mine !!
what did we do before blow dryers and curling /flat irons.
Just fixing to write the same thing and Bam!!!!there it was on the next post.