Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs? >

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM

I just don't like the new CFL lights. I've tried them but don't like the light they give off. I have decorative light fixtures that take the "flame" look ones in them and talked to a guy at Lowe's who said the new CFL types with this look are going to be big--sounds ugly to me! Don't want to have to trash my light fixtures--one was over $300.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM

As the curly lights burn out - they are replaced with an incadescent light bulb - the last time i was at Dollar General and Walmart - they had shelves full of the old style yet, and I'm tempted to clean out a cupboard and replace it will all incadescent bulbs - to heck with the ones who can burn your house down and kill you! The governments needs to get their heads on straight! AMEN! I think it is time to start to write our Congressmen!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
You get more mercury from eating fish than in a CFL.
True --- however....the issue I have is:

1) expensive
2) not reliable, therefore I would have to buy MORE
3) it's supporting China
4) not as much light so we're using MORE bulbs to see with.

The law was passed because of a knee jerk reaction to the "global warming" issue.....

Also -- fish do have more mercury, but if you ate 4 oz of Flounder every day for a week, you'd still be under the recommended limit. We don't eat the mercury in CFLs - that's why they consider them safe.

The other idiocy of the whole thing is the companies that insist on a HasMet team for cleanup -- NOT needed! It's a CYA reaction. The comment that you have to put broken CFLs in plastic bags. Well, that's supposedly to protect the garbage man. Our garbage men NEVER put their hands in your garbage!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

I've been using fluorescent bulbs for a long time now because incadescent bulbs put off so much heat. I had one over my kitchen sink that lasted over 10 years. I put them in my bathroom fixture that uses 3-4 bulbs. First time I got the ones that were equal to 100 watt and it almost blinded me when I flipped the light switch on. Had to back off that - mixed some 40 watts with 100 watts. I have the equivalent of 4/100 watts in my sewing room. I like 'em.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Ditto!

I think this new light bulb product is the worse possible way to go. When consumers realize what they have to do when the bulb burns out, maybe they'll complain and things will change.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
personally I prefer these bulbs! I do like the light they put off over reg. bulbs.
I agree. We transitioned over to the CFL's a couple years ago in our house. They put out much less heat and don't use nearly the wattage as regular bulbs. Plus they seem to last FOREVER! We rarely have to change a bulb in our house!

We have an old house that still has some of the old wiring in it...and some has been replaced recently. No problems with using these bulbs with either wiring.

When we discard a bulb, we place it in a sealed ziplock sandwich bag and put in the trash as per the website info. If I find a place that recycles them, I will take them there.

I am interested in the new LED lights...but will have to wait for them to become more readily available and the price comes down some.

As for the CFL's not being as bright...it takes about 60 secs for them to come to the full brightness. Once they do, they are as bright as the equivalent in incondescent. No...they are not as bright for the first 60 secs or so. If you pay attention to them, you can SEE them brighten up after they've been on for about a minute. It's like someone turned up a dimmer switch! LOL

That part takes a little getting used to.

At this point, we are total converts to CFL's in our house! :)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM

I have full spectrum 4 ft floresent bulbs in my home.(Put them in in 2006 just had two burn out yesterday- that is 5 years) Do have a few CLF's but when they burn out hopefully will not replace them with the same.
My cousin installed 22 CLF's in 2008 by 3-2011 he has replaced 7 of them. Supposed to last up to 7 years. The critical word is 'up to" Do not install in a storage area without sufficent protective closure around them as in an area like this is to easy to break them off. Also when these burn out they continue to use electric current when turned on as they have a transformer in the base which does not quit drawing power when the bulb fails.
For more info go to
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...ves/75548.html

Sorry don't know why it did not highlight the above.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM

I see it did highlight the site. Great
Old 03-09-2011, 01:18 PM

I find that the "curly ones" don't give off as much light as the old ones did. For us getting older, that can be very important especially when ripping out a seam.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
personally I prefer these bulbs! I do like the light they put off over reg. bulbs.
I agree. We transitioned over to the CFL's a couple years ago in our house. They put out much less heat and don't use nearly the wattage as regular bulbs. Plus they seem to last FOREVER! We rarely have to change a bulb in our house!

We have an old house that still has some of the old wiring in it...and some has been replaced recently. No problems with using these bulbs with either wiring.

When we discard a bulb, we place it in a sealed ziplock sandwich bag and put in the trash as per the website info. If I find a place that recycles them, I will take them there.

I am interested in the new LED lights...but will have to wait for them to become more readily available and the price comes down some.

As for the CFL's not being as bright...it takes about 60 secs for them to come to the full brightness. Once they do, they are as bright as the equivalent in incondescent. No...they are not as bright for the first 60 secs or so. If you pay attention to them, you can SEE them brighten up after they've been on for about a minute. It's like someone turned up a dimmer switch! LOL

That part takes a little getting used to.

At this point, we are total converts to CFL's in our house! :)
Totally with you. As for CFLs being made in China...so are the incandescent bulbs! Pretty much all manufacturing in the US has moved offshore with just a few exceptions.