Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs? >

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Very carefully! I suggest that everyone keep a box with burned out CFL light bulbs, and when it gets full, deliver them to the nearest OSHA or EPA office, and let them deal with them. I'm still furious at this travesty and am wondering WHO is profiting from this bad legislation.

If you should break one in your house, open all the windows and doors and leave them open for several hours. This is not a joke. These things are going to pollute our environment irrevocably forever. And the irony is that they are NOT energy friendly, nor do they give good light. Write your Congressmen and tell them to rescind this stupid and dangerous legislation!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm all for buying the incadescent light bulbs in bulk! My husband says no, they take too many watts and cost way more money to use. I'm still buying the old ones cuz one of those dim ones are not going into my sewing room! All I would have to do is tell him about the burning and smoking CFL's and he'll cave! LOL!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM

The "new" light bulbs are not all that great, unless you leave your lights on all the time, my husband is an electrician and despises them to no end.

I have seen the regular bulbs and the dollar store in my hometown, maybe your dollar store might still have the regular kind.

I wont tell you how we get rid of some of ours doh!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Be careful not to break the 'curly' light bulbs as they contain mercury and breathing of fumes or handling should be avoided. I find a lot of the substitutes provided in our 'cleaning up' the planet to be counter - productive. We even get rid of plastic bags to replace them with the other ones that take four times as long to break down...
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

As for me, I'm stocking up on regular bulbs that I like. I detest the curlies with a passion. Can't do close up work with them, they only illuminate a space, they do not light up a space. Stop me before I get angry. Ok, I'm stopping.
I love this forum.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Didn't know they were do dangerous. Will stock up on the old ones.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM

I spray paint the burned out bulbs red and green, glue some ribbon and a button on them and send them to my brother as "green" tree ornaments. He is an architect who specilizes in green buildings. Every year I give my family members ornaments at Thanksgiving so he now gets recycled ornaments.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

I haven't bought any CFLs and don't intend to. Buying up incandescent bulbs.
I have noticed night light bulbs don't last near as long as they use to, they are made in China.
I heard at least one Senator wants to stop the law to stop using incandescent bulbs, he has probably been ran out of the Senate. Of course, they have closed down all our lightbulb manufactories. Stupid ideas all those stupid poeple come up with, seems there are better things to do. Same for the global warming and saving the earth, it has been here long before we came and will be here long after we are long gone.
Stupid laws.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
I haven't bought any CFLs and don't intend to. Buying up incandescent bulbs.
I have noticed night light bulbs don't last near as long as they use to, they are made in China.
I heard at least one Senator wants to stop the law to stop using incandescent bulbs, he has probably been ran out of the Senate. Of course, they have closed down all our lightbulb manufactories. Stupid ideas all those stupid poeple come up with, seems there are better things to do. Same for the global warming and saving the earth, it has been here long before we came and will be here long after we are long gone.
Stupid laws.
All the more reason to write to your Senators and Representatives and demand they rescind this stupid and dangerous ruling. It's SO easy to email them... just google their names (i.e. Ron Paul website), and you'll get a link to their site, from where you can send an email. There's usually a button that says "Contact Me" or "Email Me" or something like that. Then you just fill out the form, type in your message, and hit Send. That easy. It's truly painless and doesn't cost anything but a few minutes' time.

Disposing of these bulbs is guaranteed to contaminate our soil and water for centuries. That isn't even mentioning the consequences of breaking one - that's just assuming that they burn out and we replace them. Please don't throw them in your trash. That is like signing a death warrant for our grandchildren.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM

What is inside florescent bulbs and the bulbs in our Ott lights? I've always heard to not break florescent bulbs but don't know why. I thought it was some sort of gas maybe??