Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you manage your time after you retire? >
  • How do you manage your time after you retire?

• How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I have been retired since 97 and I still do not know what I do, but I am always behind and never get done what I want to on any given day. Oh, well, so in 50 yrs., who will know the difference. I honestly don't know how I found the time to work.
    I love your location so much and find that at times I miss good old WV because people are really the best there----you never have to try to figure out who they are because what you see is what you get.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM

I am so busy since I retired, I don't know how I found time to work at a job. As for a schedule, retirement means a person doesn't have a schedule. Play it by ear you'll get the hang of it.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM

I've been retired for 3 years now and I do whatever I feel like doing. I worked 48 years and I think I deserve it. I don't have a schedule...that would be too much like work. I just do whatever and somehow it all gets done.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM

I had planned to do only my thing
    but, alas
    the world seems to think I have
    enough time to do their things to.
    J J
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

If anyone of you ladies can tell me "how" you retire, please let me know. My husband is 75 and I am 71. He is an accountant and still works and says he is going to work until he dies. I assured him I could help him in that department if he does not quit pretty soon. He always has more work than he can do, so my life is pretty well spent helping him. Do I need to tell you I HATE taxes? My grandfather always said "A man works from sun and a woman's work is never done". I believe every word of that phrase.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM
    Power Poster

I retired last Sept. and haven't stopped. The days I am feeling lazy I read, watch a movie, etc. Other days I am so energetic and accomplish so much. I don't know how I worked full time and took care of home and cooking! Enjoy your retirement, all too soon you will find yourself getting busier and busier.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM

I am 52 and have been retired for 3 years. Somedays I have a schedule and some days I just wing it. Most days I am pretty busy whether I intend to be or not.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Just live one day at a time and enjoy every minute that the Lord has given you.
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Oh gosh, I retired in January and after being able to sleep 8 hours a night for the entire month of January, haven't stopped yet (still relishing the availability of sleeping 8 hours every night)! I have taught myself to quilt (a lot of help from the Quilt Board), learned how to run the tractor to help the DH mow, assisting others with fixing sewing machines, going to garage sales, reading when I can, quilting, visiting the grandchild, visiting the mother....gosh, I worked 10 hour days for the last 10 years in a fast moving technology field teaching teachers and students on line and I am so thrilled to have time to do what I love to do, I can hardly believe I am so lucky. Enjoy every minute and if you just want to sit and read, you now have time to do just that!!!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm planning on volunteering at our County Hospital, do some church work, clean my stamp collections, organize my daughter's pictures-scan the prints, transfer to cds those ones in tapes, write an autobiography, go back to quilling (if my fingers & eyes can still do it), make plenty of cards, of course quilt, if finances will allow-travel around the world, exercise to keep my body going, deal with my sexuality-don't know what this means...ha ha ha!