Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you manage your time after you retire? >

How do you manage your time after you retire?

How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM

I loved my job and really wondered how I would possibly do without it. But, we built a retirement home and it was time to sell the old house and retire and move. (I taught Special Ed. PreK.)

It has been three years since I retired and moved to an entirely new place. Initially, I slept a lot and realized how much my job had exhausted me....lol

I joined two quilt guilds plus a red hat group to meet people. (very important!) Also, I exercise several times a week at a gym and have enjoyed the people I met. After meeting some great people at my Guild, we organized a monthly quilt group alternating homes. (just 5 quilters) I also volunteer in a Kindergarten class once a week. Unfortunately, we can't retire from laundry, cooking or cleaning once in awhile. All in all, I'm as busy as I want to be and loving it.

It helps if you designate a few goals each day if you find yourself not getting anything done.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM

looks like I am the odd woman out - I am soooooo bored not working, but my physical problems and age keeps me from doing ANYTHING productive. 'wish I didn't retire - I still had a few good years. I learned finally that the grass isn't really greener on the other side.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 AM

I retired 6 yrs ago and I am FAR busier now than then! It took me about a year to get on some schedule. Mostly the schedule went to pot when I started quilting --- housework piled up, etc. Now, housework gets done every day BEFORE I start sewing. I refuse to watch soap operas (they're mostly gone now though) and I ALWAYS shower and put on makeup every day. If you get lonely, join a club -- quilt guild? I honestly can say, like many retirees, that I don't have time to sit around!!!!! :mrgreen:
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay
I will retire in Nov of this year. Currently I am just happy to sit down and read my quilting emails. I have a stressful job and I don't want to do anything after work or on the weekends.
So I am worried about what I will do when I retire. Did you set yourself a schedule so you got other things done.
I always think about quilting but seem to get little of it done. I will quilt like crazy and then I don't for a while. I have a short arm and frame down stairs that I really haven't used much.
I am only 56 so I can't become a blob once I quit working. any suggestions! I am really happy about retiring. I started working at age 17 so I am looking forward to retirement.
Now I have become nervous about what I will do.
Oh, honey! If only I could retire! I would love to stay home and sew all day long....if I wanted to. I could also read, cook, play with the cats, or just stare out a window if I felt like it. I could always find something to do. Unfortunately, I still have a few years before I can afford to retire (I'm 57), so I'll be envious of you till then.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM

I do just what I want. Of course, I am single (widow) so I do not have anyone I have to answer to. When I became a widow, I did tell myself I could not lay up in the bed until half the day is gone so I am up no later than 7:30. Some days I do nothing and other day I am busy all day. Make up a bucket list and try to do those things is possible.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Last Nov. i was retired. I have found that if i set the timer for 15 or 3o min. to work on any project cleaning included i do better. Otherwise time slips away on you.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I have been retired for 2 years. There is never enough time in the day to get what I want done. I can't imagine being bored. Retirement is what you make of it. Quilting is My passion and I'm so happy to have the time to enjoy it:)
I agree! There is just sooooo much to do and as I get older I keep thinking there just isn't enough time for all of it, so try to fill the days with things I enjoy. No schedules! :D You'll do the same!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 AM

I am still working on getting my self adjusted to retirement, since we moved and have been fixing up the new home, including adding an addition for MIL (in progress, finally). I am 54. My DH and I have started working out to get in shape, both for health and be able to travel.

I love my quilting, but haven't done as much as I had hoped. I am still organizing my quilt studio. I started in one room and DH decided he wanted a room for himself. Since we are not big entertainers, we converted the formal LR/DR into my studio. I have just finished furnishing it and now trying to organize it. All this while I have several projects I need to finish ASAP for gifts. :)

I also joined the local guild here and may check out the local quilting club as well.

Congratulations on your retirement! You will find things to do! Volunteer work is good as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Ha! Try retiring at 41. That is how old I will be. Do I get a second job or be an at home wife to hubby? I don't know but I am taking everything written on this topic into consideration.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 AM

I never worked but my husband just retired. We are moving closer to son and grandson. It will be nice to go somewhere and not have to be home at a schudled time. We are looking foreward to have time to do some of the things we never had time for. I am 56 and husband is 62.