Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you manage your time after you retire? >

How do you manage your time after you retire?

How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 AM

The first thing I did was sign up at the local gym. I love to read, sew, work on the computer, play my piano and organ, but these things are all sitting. I do water aerobic three days and week, my body really knows it when I miss a day.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 AM

Schedule or not, retirement is wonderful.

You will find your way, opportunities will present themselves.

I have been retired for 10 years now, during that time I have done fun things and been available to help those in need.

I nursed my Dad for 4 years, until his death in June.

I watch my Grandson during the school year when my daughter teaches.

I read, quilt, love cooking, play golf, volunteer at our local church, garden, travel, & avoid house cleaning if possible!

Some days I just sit and enjoy the day. Glad I have my health and energy to do anything.

Hang in there, don't be stressful about it, it will be what you want it to be, you are your own master planner.

Do what you love and help others and it will all work out.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 AM

I retired at 59 (63 now)... in good health so I started yoga classes and absolutely loved them. It did take me a couple of years to slow down as the work schedule and mind set was a bit challenging to change... (It sometimes caught me off-center not to identify with my work), my nest emptied at the same time so I spent many many hours doing my favorite things: reading, reading, reading, some writing and presentations, a little traveling (London, Germany), a bit of volunteer work and visiting my son (in another state). I have since slowed down the last couple of years which is wonderful...I am finally off the hamster wheel. So now I mostly read, Tai Chi, visit my son, have a cup of tea whenever I want and this last year I have taken up quilting (a new love). So, I would suggest to be patient and you will find a path that is perfectly suited to you. Enjoy!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:18 AM

Not enough hours in the day! I do more now than when I was working. These are the things I have waited all my life to do and I am enjoying every minute of gardening, baking, quilting, embroidery that I can squeeze in. Gardening is taking a big part of my time right now with everything being in full production I have been canning and freezing. Haven't gotten much, if any, quilting done in months but once the garden is put to rest then I have that to look forward to. We lived in the AZ desert for so many years where it was too hot to garden and with the children living at home and working I never had enough time or energy left to do anything for myself. I don't plan much but just go with the flow. Ann in TN
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Like most retirees, I wonder how I found time to work. One reason is that I have slowed down a lot and don't try to cram too much into one day -- eg if I have a doctor's appointment, well that is Tuesday spoken for-- whereas when working I would have squeezed that appointment in before or after work. I enjoy having the time to help people eg pick up elderly neighbour to take to doctor -- I feel it's my repayment to the world for those who helped me when my daughter was young, and after my husband died. My dog's social life (daily walks, agility and flyball training) are a regular commitment which keep me active, out in the fresh air and ensure I don't sleep in past 7.30! Other activities have continued and are now enjoyed more, because there is no rush--free time is the ultimate luxury for those who have worked full time all their lives.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Don't know where the time goes now that i am retired, sure can't figure out how i had time to work and keep up with everything. Now i am busy all the time and love it, doing things i wanted to do when i worked and never could get to do them like quilting. I also have a ggs that is almost 2 and get to see him quite a bit. Don't worry about retirement, you will find many many things to keep you busy.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM

I didn't work while our children were younger. ONly worked a few years after they were both driving. But all the years that I have spent at home has been a joy. Of course now I work in my studio (sewing, quilting,..etc) everyday. My hubby retired last Nov. and the best thing is just being able to go anywhere at anytime without having to check his work schedule (he worked rotating shift work for 37 yrs). I try to keep a loose schedule of meals, laundry, gardening, cleaning and grandkids time...but don't get too set in a schedule. The fun part is just saying YES to a spur of the moment invite, for lunch, a trip and/or just a visit with friends/relatives, the laundry will still be there when you get back to it.
I belong to a quilt guild and art guild and really make an effort to attend those meetings, and I try to make a couple of donation quilts every year.
And I agree with some other comments about saying "NO". People will tend to try to dump projects and or jobs on you "because she doesn't work", she has time!!!...Well be firm, if your not interested just say no thank you.
We all need to stay healthy so try to do some kind of exercise regularly too. I do at least 15 minutes a day, and 30 minutes some days.(a news report recently said 15 minutes a day can extend your life by 3 yrs...who knew) walking, Wii Fit, etc.
Most of all ENJOY, AND DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Retirement can be all it's cracked up to be. I was at a loss for the first 2 weeks, then, it hit me. I'm free!

Between taking care of the dogs, the retired husband, my share of the chores, quilting and occasional traveling, we keep busy.

There is always mentoring too. Your local grade school would probably love someone to come into the school once a week to help a child that is having trouble reading or doing math.

I volunteer and love it!

Originally Posted by Quilterfay
I will retire in Nov of this year. Currently I am just happy to sit down and read my quilting emails. I have a stressful job and I don't want to do anything after work or on the weekends.
So I am worried about what I will do when I retire. Did you set yourself a schedule so you got other things done.
I always think about quilting but seem to get little of it done. I will quilt like crazy and then I don't for a while. I have a short arm and frame down stairs that I really haven't used much.
I am only 56 so I can't become a blob once I quit working. any suggestions! I am really happy about retiring. I started working at age 17 so I am looking forward to retirement.
Now I have become nervous about what I will do.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 AM

The first year I did the things I couldn't while I was working...fitness class, yoga, lunch out, shopping, naps, etc. It got old quickly. Then my husband retired, and I got two part time jobs (no joke). Now I'm down to one and enjoy my days off with him. I do better with structure, so I often make lists and stick to them temporarily. But, I AM retired, and I can do what I want. If I don't want to, I don't have to. Pretty neat.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 AM

me too