Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to handle selling fabric to quilting  board  member >

How to handle selling fabric to quilting board member

How to handle selling fabric to quilting board member

Old 08-13-2011, 05:19 AM

Have you noticed the change in size of the flat rate envelopes and boxes. I have an old one and a new one. Definite difference. They made changes in rates and sizes around the first of the year.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I don't know what the Ukraine transaction consists of so I am not commenting on that.
But when someone asks you to send money by Western Union you can kiss it goodbye,
I think the PP "sending money" option is NOT yet available to residents of the Ukraine. The only way they could have sent money to the US is by Western Union. (And I agree I would never do it the other way unless I knew the recipient personally.)

I had a friend in Romania do that years ago. I felt terrible because of the high fee she had to pay - I didn't realize it until later - but there was no other way. Now Romania is part of the PP network so it's a breeze.

However, it seems that PP users can send money to Russia and the Ukraine. Not quite sure how they get the receipts out of their accounts - looks like they can only use it for purchases(?).

Here's the breakdown of the different types of PP accounts across countries:
http://www.paypal.com/worldwide/
Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 AM

i found pay pal is the only way to go , it is not as hard as it looks just take your time and read the instructions and you will love it once you use it
Old 08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Overall, transactions I've had using the Quilting Board have been great!

PayPal ONLY charges a fee to the SELLER!

Much as I dislike paying the fees, not paying them is CHEATING and/or STEALING!

I've had no problems with checks or money orders received.

It is a good idea to wait to have the payment in your custody before sending out the items.

When a buyer decides to cancel a purchase, I very much appreciate being included in the decision.

I know things happen - and fabric and quilting related items are not a high priority item for most of us - but it really crinkles my cookies when I've sent a polite PM asking about the status of the payment - and the PM has been opened - and I get no response!

The reason I mind - someone else may have wanted that item - so the unresponsive one is not only messing with me, but possibly another person. If no one else is interested, it's nice to close the deal as "cancelled" and be done with it.

I also don't mind "will/can you wait until . . . . " - and most of the buyers have been really good about following through.

If one is selling yardage that is being cut from a larger piece - wait until payment is received.

I think it's quite all right to keep a "naughty and nice" list.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Overall, transactions I've had using the Quilting Board have been great!

PayPal ONLY charges a fee to the SELLER!

Much as I dislike paying the fees, not paying them is CHEATING and/or STEALING!

I've had no problems with checks or money orders received.

It is a good idea to wait to have the payment in your custody before sending out the items.

When a buyer decides to cancel a purchase, I very much appreciate being included in the decision.

I know things happen - and fabric and quilting related items are not a high priority item for most of us - but it really crinkles my cookies when I've sent a polite PM asking about the status of the payment - and the PM has been opened - and I get no response!

The reason I mind - someone else may have wanted that item - so the unresponsive one is not only messing with me, but possibly another person. If no one else is interested, it's nice to close the deal as "cancelled" and be done with it.

I also don't mind "will/can you wait until . . . . " - and most of the buyers have been really good about following through.

If one is selling yardage that is being cut from a larger piece - wait until payment is received.

I think it's quite all right to keep a "naughty and nice" list.
AMEN Bear - I have one now that is keeping me in limbo about some books I had for sale. Apparently opened the PM I sent and then fell into a black hole...
Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM

This discussion came at the right time for me, as I am considering selling using paypal. Another benefit from this wonderful sharing community.
jean
Old 08-13-2011, 03:46 PM

I won't use paypal. Too many fees. Plus they have blocked my account several times saying somebody tried to access my account. I just accept checks or money orders. Nobody seems to mind that. I would only sell us usa because cost of shipping.
Judy
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by judy_68
I won't use paypal. Too many fees. Plus they have blocked my account several times saying somebody tried to access my account. I just accept checks or money orders. Nobody seems to mind that. I would only sell us usa because cost of shipping.
Judy
Why do you care about the cost of shipping if the buyer is going to pay it?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM

I guess I'm lucky - my buyer in Canada mails me the cash. I do use Paypal and have for over 10 years with only a few problem. They are good police about the site and will call if there is a problem. Just pay their little fees (add it to you selling price). Make sure you charge enough postage to get to the UK. It is expensive to mail out of the US. But I would go ahead and get Paypal and use it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone, I had a bit of a delay in getting Pay Pal as my computer needed repair but I'm back on line now. Also, made note of all the good advice.

I'm bringing package to Post office to find out how much it will cost to send it with delivery confirmation and insurance, and will add any other fees I have to pay to final price I expect from buyer. May in Jersey