Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make the best of it... >

How to make the best of it...

How to make the best of it...

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Do you have a guest room? have him stay there if not there is always the sofa!!
I agree.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I can relate to the "no room to put stuff". When I had the opportunity to purchase a (fairly large) sewing desk from the estate of a friend, my DH said we would make room for it. It is now in my living room. His take is "WE live here and WE can do whatever we want, if someone comes and doesn't like it they can go home". Gotta love that man! Actually its nice as he can read or watch TV and I am right across the room.
I agree with this - who says your living room has to look like everyone else's? Mine doesn't! Right now my sewing table is right in there, too!

There have been several great suggestions here. I especially liked the idea of putting away what you don't use regularly and keeping close at hand what you do. Look for underbed storage opportunities. Perhaps you can keep part of that closet after all - it wouldn't be unusual or unreasonable for a guest to have to share storage space.

If your husband's space is used for business then I wouldn't plan to intrude there - bread over butter, you know? But if you start thinking creatively I bet you'll find the space you need elsewhere in the house!

Perhaps finishing out that attic space would be a good project to tackle while your son is there to help, too. It makes a space for you (for the future if nothing else) and gives him a bit of work to do to earn his keep, while supporting his financial goals.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

I long for a sewing room (I sew in a teeny tiny area behind my couch, use the dining table for cutting, sandwiching etc. I have material and stuff put everywhere that I can hide it (trying to keep an uncluttered place). I think I would sew in the bathtub if is was the only place. Also, it depends on your life and your daily activities. I am 73 and live alone, no real in-house social activites so I can roam through the place and do whatever, wherever. Good luck in your quest. Here's a good luck HUG.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 AM

When this happened to me, I put a sewing table in a corner of my bedroom. I had a plastic tub under it which held some fabric and sewing supplies. The rest of my stuff was stored in the utility room and I would go there to get things as I needed them. It worked for me. But there's nothing like having your own big space to spread out in. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM

SVS this has happened to you. I'm in the same boat to with son moving back home after 5 years. :( Not only his clothes but also his furniture and DJ stereo equipment, too. Had to give up my guest/craft room. All my things are in a storage shed and if I want to sew or craft, I will have to go out there and drag it back into the living room. But hubby and I feel we need to do what we can for our son even though it causes an inconvenience for us temporarily. That's what parents do.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM

When my daughter moved back home I also lost my sewing room. I put alot of it in my bedroom and I also claimed a spot in the living room for my sewing corner. Good luck
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Is this bedroom big enough, that you could put a temporary cot in there. He has free range of the whole house, so the only time he needs to be in this room is to sleep. Then you could leave your things in there and use it by day. I don't have a sewing room, mine is in our bedroom, works for me!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155380.png  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:39 AM

I have two suggestions, which mirror what some others have said: number one, keep some of your stuff in "his" room. Then you could move some of your least-used stuff to the attic. If he has too much stuff, some of it can go into the attic, too. It's a compromise for both of you.

Number two, make a little sewing or scrapbooking station in another part of the house. I have a great little sewing shed outside, but with two kids I can't use it much, so I keep a sewing machine and basics inside in a little corner of space by the kitchen table, and I sew there most days. I bought a plastic box with a handle at wal-mart that holds my scissors, rotary cutter, pins, etc, and the rotary mat I put flat on the floor under the machine and the box. I also have a tote bag that holds my latest project.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I wouldn't make it too easy for your son. It's your room not his. But kids are our joy so you have to try. I would put a bed up in the attic, buy a clothes rack and believe me he will come up with other needed items for up there. he wont' be there much except to sleep anyway. I would rather help my kids pay their rent then have them move back home.
I agree with the attic. Don't disrupt your routine. If you have to make alterations to your home, work on a space such as the atic. If you have to accomidate the space for your sewing, why not make it work for your son or any other future needs. -- No heat, well try an extra quilt or two and maybe a safe space heater. Until the space can be ready, the couch is an option. -- I was in the same position for the past 5 years. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have given up my space. My daughter and 2 grand kids, then my sick inlaws, all at the same time. We doubled up in the 3 rooms up stairs. When we brought home Mum and Pop, Mum got my sewing room and Pop got the family room. I should have put them both in the family room. It is plenty big enough. --- Mum passed and Pop is being cared for at his house. DD has her own house. I have my sewing room back as of Sept., and it is better than ever. I have always told my kids - I have a roof to cover your head and food in the cupboards, don't expect more than that. They have to make the other comforts happen.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Treat your family like company, and company like family. If your house has the room, move your craft room to another area. Please don't make your son feel like he is not wanted.