Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to make the best of it... >

How to make the best of it...

How to make the best of it...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Can you squeez in a day bed or a footon? Men don't have that many clothes, just slide some room on the closet pole for him. A bedroom is only for sleeping, so he shouldn't need much room. Encourage him to get on his feet again and show him that you support him in faith and love. You shouldn't have to give up your space and comfort, please think of yourself.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 AM

When DD & DSIL lost their jobs and house they moved in with us. We have only 2 bedrooms and our garage was filled with their stuff and things I stored to make room for them. Long story short: I shoved furniture closer together in the living room and made room for my table and sewing machine. For 10 months we survived, but at least DGD was not out in the cold. I have my room back now and DH made it better than ever.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM

I have a sewing room in my attic. I call it "the crows nest". I love being up their in my own world. I have windows and can watch the kids going and returning to school etc. If you can, I would make the best of the attic. My husband installed an electric base heater, which I only use when I am sewing. There is a heat vent, which I keep closed. Have an AC for summer. My husband built me a table (up there) can't take it out without taking the legs off. I hope this helps you. Yolanda
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 AM

You have a walk-in attic. How cool is that. Does it have windows, electric? If your attic is sitting empty or relatively empty, it offers all kinds of possibilities.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by julia58
Treat your family like company, and company like family.
I like this! :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM

I had to same happen to me, I took the bigger bedroom in the home, and made due with the new space. I bought shelving and baskets to store. And I put some the boys room closets. problem solved. Its not my whole room anymore, but it is do-able.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 AM

This phenomena is called the boomerang generation. When many of us left home, we were out for good. Why, it never occurred to us to seek help from the parents when hard times struck. We had made our own beds, as the expression began. However, the mother hen in us wants to fix things up, and opening our doors to the boomerang is just one of the things we can do to help. I too would say that things have changed around here since you left. We'll have to make to with the changes. If you come home, you'll need to work on making a comfortable pad in the attic. My own attic is necked rafters, and floor joists, storage boxes and tons of (no other way to say it) junk. I'd hit the hardware store for some strong plywood flooring, that inexpensive blue insulation sheeting and tack to the rafters and make some make-shift walls, and contact my local freecycle for cots and shelving. Decorate with hanging quilts, and furnish with essentials. Then, talk with a financial counselor to make a plan.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't put your fabric room in a garage as the critters always find there way in when the door is open. Lost a bunch of fabric because I put some of my fabric in the garage and they chewed wholes in the bins. Maybe get him a cot to sleep on in the living room and set it up when he goes to bed and make him fold it up during the day. Sorry that he is having troubles....been in that situation before.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Here's a couple of ideas..a.Move everything you can to the walk in attic that will not be harmed by the temperature changes. b. if you have a cloak closet, put your machine on a small table that will fit inside the closet so you can sew sitting in the open door space. c. Use the shelf in the closet to hold your current project and necessary supplies d. move larger craft table to garage or basement or if that is not available, take the legs off and stand the top behind something or behind a bed or under a bed e. Use your dining room table or the entry hallway floor to cut and sandwich quilts. f. Look around at the available options and try to make the best of it. Just make sure your son does not get too comfortable and want to make it a permanent move!!! Our son came home after a unpleasant divorce and lived with us 6 months. Truthfully it was a great time. He came home as an adult. He washed his own clothes and took care of his bathroom and bedroom. My rule was if you were not going to be home for dinner call me before I left work. He took the garbage out and mowed the grass without out me asking. I was sorry when he moved out.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sweet
I think you should simply share it with your son. Move enough of your quilting things out to make room for him to sleep and his clothes. If you both agree, maybe it could work...
Best idea I've heard yet. Our DS had to move from out of state to live with us when his long term (8 yr) relationship with his X fiance ended, the same week he got laid off. He got stuck with the apartment and all the bills. The last thing he wanted to do was move back home but he had no other choice.

We 'share' space with him. We have some of his larger things (big guitar amp, etc) stored in the corner of our living room behind a chair. His dad moved one piece of his three piece desk into our bedroom, gave DS the other 2 pieces of desk. DS has a bed, a dresser, and 1/2 of a walk in closet. His room is packed with his personal stuff in boxes stacked against wall and there are some items stored under and in front of my sofa table which is the first thing you see when you walk in the door.

I have decided I'm ok with living like gypsies because I got to keep my sewing room!

Peggy