Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members have fibromyalgia? >

How many members have fibromyalgia?

How many members have fibromyalgia?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I have had fibromyalgia for close to 8 years now, which was triggered by a car accident and a Diverticulitis attack within the same week. The pain is always worse when I don't sleep, a cocktail of antdpressents as a sleep aid usually does the trick but there are times when they don't. I own a tanning salon and have an Ifrared Sauna that I use most days. When the pain is mild I come out pain free!! for at least a couple of hours, the pain is reduced greatly on the bad days. I am going to try the Webber capsules. I wish some medical research was done to pin point the cause and cure.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

I have had memorey issues for a long time and have had to right everything down, Is this a part of fibbromyalgia? I had kaiser ins for 18yrs and they did not give good info, but my falt to. I havent ever read about it, Im the type that I want you to tell me what it is and fix it.[/quote]

Memory loss is part of fybromyalgia. I got scared because I couldn't remember things and so I did a thorough research on fybro and it is part of it. At least I know I'm not losing my mind!!! It is scary sometimes when you can't remember the simplest things but it helps to know the reason why.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Yes, I have Fibromyalgia...NOT fun...I had a big flare up, few weeks back that hit so bad and quickly that I ended up in the hospital....Then I was given something that caused an allergic reaction....It's been a really fun month....
Be careful with Lyrica...some of the side effects outweigh the benefits. I felt great on it for a while, but had to get off of it. Stress is a trigger...I've had this for about 10 years.
Stress can be a HUGE trigger for me. Esp. emotional stress, family stuff. I use Ultram (tramadol) for pain and have for about 18 years.
Yes, Stress is HUGE....I can't take Ultram...Allergic to it....Memory is my BIG problem lately...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM

i am with my quilter friends, and look right at one one them and say"whats your name again?" happens all the time. (and one of the girls is my SIL!)
i keep telling my husband to write it down, if he needs me to do something..sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. His fault. he has to write his work schedule on the calendar.

I got lost going to my SIL's house for christmas dinner once..i had to pull over, and call my husband and ask him to come and bring me the rest of the way in. i cried,but made it..made a joke over it when i got there..

Memory, what pain. sometimes i used to think i was loosing it..seriously..and so did those around me..It is called Fibro-Fog.

I do certain things to help me cope, i have had a dry erase board for years in my kitchen..when the kids were growing up, they HAD to write thier plans on it..HAD to.
My dad, bought my a mini micro recorder for the car/purse.
I keep every calendar,every year..it is like a diary for me.
I have Google as my home page..It has a Sticky note tyupe program that is front and center when i turn on the computer in the morning. I have signed up for the florist shop to send me reminders of Birthdays and Anniversaries..Email and snail mail
I am no longer allowed to cook without a Timer clipped to my shirt. I almost burned the house down twice. ( i have a pampered chef timer)
i have a second alarm clock i set for Appointments only on that day..my cell phone has an alarm for appointments also..

these are just some of the way i cope with memory issues.

sound ridiculus? not hardly! when it costs you a $60 no show fee for the shrink..you start coming up with ways to remember!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Arnica Gel! Yes! I have recommended or given this to everyone I know that hurts! It is incredible, my DH and I stumbled on it by accident and started buying it at GNC, $1.99 a tube, and as we have a membership card to GNC, it was $1.49. Then we couldn't find it! I was panicing! So I went online and bought 20 tubes, I was afraid they were discontinuing it! That lasted about 6 months and I just received my 2nd order! This stuff helps relieve pain and my DH always puts it on my shoulder (rotator cuff pain, getting surgery soon) and back pain! Has anyone tried Arnica tablets?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Does anyone have a spot on your body that itches all of the time? I do, it's part of fibromyalgia. My left shoulder itches ALL of the time, no rash, nothing visable, sometimes it is really bad. It can move or spread, luckily mine has stayed in one spot for several years. Stress is a big trigger for me. Our ADHD 12 year old grandson can really set it off! I take cymbalta, it helps me get out of bed in the morning, without pain! I can't take Lyrica or anything like it, at the lowest dosage I am so dizzy I can't stand up. Like others, I have a problem with "exercise" and I'm including here, a long day of shopping, spurts of house cleaning (I try to do a little every day so that I can avoid "Spring" cleaning). Humidity seems to make it worse (and here I am living on the Gulf coast)! Cooler Florida weather is perfect but really cold is a killer. I too am going to try the vitamins! At this point, nothing can hurt!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM

no itchy's for me...interesting..will see what others say...
my husband said i walked normal when i was in texas and florida...lol!

living in michigan, we get the extremes in weather..i thought last summer was perfect...but no one agrees with me..including my plants!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by bjcombs2022
Does anyone have a spot on your body that itches all of the time? I do, it's part of fibromyalgia. My left shoulder itches ALL of the time, no rash, nothing visable, sometimes it is really bad. It can move or spread, luckily mine has stayed in one spot for several years. Stress is a big trigger for me. Our ADHD 12 year old grandson can really set it off! I take cymbalta, it helps me get out of bed in the morning, without pain! I can't take Lyrica or anything like it, at the lowest dosage I am so dizzy I can't stand up. Like others, I have a problem with "exercise" and I'm including here, a long day of shopping, spurts of house cleaning (I try to do a little every day so that I can avoid "Spring" cleaning). Humidity seems to make it worse (and here I am living on the Gulf coast)! Cooler Florida weather is perfect but really cold is a killer. I too am going to try the vitamins! At this point, nothing can hurt!
Yes, I have itchy too. My left shoulder. Did anyone start out with a tingling`numbness kinda thing on the left side of your body? I did for years and had MRI to rule out MS. It will still get that way if I get really stressed or tired. It's like you took a pen and drew a line down the middle of my body; the left side tingly, the right side no tingly. very weird.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjcombs2022
Arnica Gel! Yes! I have recommended or given this to everyone I know that hurts! It is incredible, my DH and I stumbled on it by accident and started buying it at GNC, $1.99 a tube, and as we have a membership card to GNC, it was $1.49. Then we couldn't find it! I was panicing! So I went online and bought 20 tubes, I was afraid they were discontinuing it! That lasted about 6 months and I just received my 2nd order! This stuff helps relieve pain and my DH always puts it on my shoulder (rotator cuff pain, getting surgery soon) and back pain! Has anyone tried Arnica tablets?
, but I would try anything to get read of the pain. the $1.99 is something I think my husband could aford, I'll have to wright it down. haha
No never heared of it
Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have an itchy spot on the sole of one foot! I never knew that was part of Fibro, and it sometimes drives me crazy. I also get restless legs when I am ready to go to sleep, so I take meds for that, and sometimes I wake up in so much pain that it's hard to turn over to help ease it. Sleeping has been easier since I bought a feather bed (5 inches deep of feathers on top of my pocket sprung mattress). It's bliss to sink into it each night. I am a bit of a mess though, when it comes to sleeping, as I also have sleep apnea. I try to have an afternoon nap each day I am at home too, so that I don't get over tired, and I rarely go out two days running - too tiring.